Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

RC's 2011 cam

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nothing of good size or anything I would consider a shooter buck on cam yet.

These first pics are off the new property I picked up this spring. It is a cool little secluded field.

A doe that looks like she hasn't drop her fawn yet ?

Then a little one looking for momma

Wait and see what else shows up I guess.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Lucky bastard! I've never been able to hunt a corn field before. in fact, I've never hunted anywhere near corn.
That 9 pointer looks like it has potential if it makes it throught the season. How many guys are hunting there?

Me and Dante. We are the only ones with permission and we all know how well that works come season lol.

You ever want to hunt crop fields or fence rows your more then welcome to come hunt with me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lucky bastard! I've never been able to hunt a corn field before. in fact, I've never hunted anywhere near corn.
That 9 pointer looks like it has potential if it makes it throught the season. How many guys are hunting there?

Lol... trust me, Mike... Corn fields can, at times, be the most frustrating thing about hunting NW Ohio deer. They can draw in a lot of deer, and can produce some monster bucks for you... but they can also Eff you in the A pretty hard sometimes. lmao

I'll take deepwoods southern OH deer hunting over the open country NW Ohio deer hunting any day of the week! But that's just me...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Lol... trust me, Mike... Corn fields can, at times, be the most frustrating thing about hunting NW Ohio deer. They can draw in a lot of deer, and can produce some monster bucks for you... but they can also Eff you in the A pretty hard sometimes. lmao

I'll take deepwoods southern OH deer hunting over the open country NW Ohio deer hunting any day of the week! But that's just me...

Never hunted down South, but I can tell you one thing it makes patterning a deer, especially a mature deer, hard as hell. Too many options of travel. But I like hunting corn, I wouldn't trade. Especially when you find one of the last standing corn fields in the area during the rut.... :pickle:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Mike you more than welcome to hunt corn, beans, crp with me anytime. It is definitely different and FLAT! a twenty foot change in elevation over 20 acres is a mountain :)

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Nice pics man. Are you running the cam over bait or minerals; or just on the edge of the field.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Nice pics man. Are you running the cam over bait or minerals; or just on the edge of the field.

Just a trail that runs out of a woodlot next door and into the cornfield. Seems to be a good active trail and right now you wouldn't even know it's there. Good thing for scouting things out back in March lol.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Looks like it could be a KILLER rut spot with the corn and the woods wrapping around the way it does..... I would be hanging on that edge in Late Oct. over a fresh or man made scrap a few days!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I wouldn't know how to act in flat land. Lol
I'm used to rolling spoils and deep hollers! It never fails, every deer I drag is straight up hill. :tantrum:

Thx for the offers fellas. Someday I may take you up on it. We will have to do a trade... I'll bring you down here and watch you climb hills :smiley_clap:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
plus us hill walkers can walk circle round them flatlanders cause we are use to the up and down and up and down , them little hills up there are a cake walk

Well, you have to remember that not all us flatlanders stay on flat ground all the time. I have walked hills that would make you cry when I was in Montana. Do I care to do it now...Nope. Been there done that and don't care to do it again. I like my flat fields and will gladly haul a deer here rather then in the hills and hollers. Have fun with that lol.

after living in both areas , up north and down here , it is so much easier to pattern deer up north then it is down here , and easier to hunt them as well

I beg to differ with you. It might be easier to see them however your not going to put a sneak on a big old buck standing in the middle of a 400 acre cut crop field. It might be easier to pattern small bucks and does but again, big bucks have their own trails and most times have no rhyme or reason for them. They don't have to stay on a trail and are free to walk wherever they so choose to do so. We don't have long ridges, deep ravines, or draws that they have to funnel through.

I have hunted hills and hollers, Mountains, and flat farm land and each has their own pro's and cons and no way you can say that one is easier then another IMO.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep I hunt both and non-ag areas are easier for me. Shit with corn on and sod waterways there is no reason for the buck to leave the fields other than boredom or sex....

On our properties in Warsaw are huge hills and woods. You can see the paths of deer without even trying. Up here there are tracks everywhere but none used alot like the two foot wide paths on the ridges.

I have hunted hard since 95 and have rarely witnessed our deer even eat an acorn. Pods yes but not acorns. Almost different animals until the girls start bleeding.

Beentown

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree completely fellas... Farmland deer are much, MUCH tougher to pattern than the deer in hill country. When deer don't HAVE to go a certain route, they won't. If they decide to leave a corn field, they hardly ever take the same trail over and over. This is why I consider Gern to be one of the best, if not THE best, deer hunter on this forum. He hunts the flattest, most open farm country in Ohio... Yet still finds a way to get it done every year, in two states mind you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a debate that can go on forever without a winner. I wouldn't say it is "easy" to hunt flat country, but I have never hunted the hills either. I will change that this year. First week of the season I will be in southern Ohio. I would agree with Beentown and Redcloud with open fields though. Not much chance of putting a stalk on a cut crop field that goes on from one road to the next. You might be lucky enough to have a waterway cut into it which allows you to sneak along, but I personally don't have any on the properties I hunt. Some of the fields even have old ponds out in the middle of them from when there used to be livestock. Food, water, and cover in the form of hundreds of acres. The other thing to remember is: If you can see a buck a few hundred yards away, then he will see you coming most of the time as well.