Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Long Range Savage

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
My Savage i put togeather that i've been using to do some long range practice at some 12"x12" plates at 1000yds +... My goal is to hit 80% of my hits at 1000yds or less and 60% of my hits at 1500yds or further.... :) you know how those Marines think...lol
MLS-Savage2.jpgMLS-Savage1.jpgMLS-Savage3.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

Long Range: Savage 116FLHSS 300 Win. Mag.(foot-print) w/ Harrell's MB, SGS Stock. Action Trued-Timed w/Comp.Lug and Comp Trigger (12oz.) by SSS. KW’s Extended Mag, 30” Brux Varmit Barrel (.930”), KF 20MOA base, Burris Steel Rings, Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot.

Dang!

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
60% on 12x12 @ 1500 yards is a MAJOR accomplishment.

Beentown

well thats my goal... Its alot further then you think, but practice is the key. I need more of it. Over the past year or so i really never shot at anything over 300-400 yards and thought a 1000yd hit would be impossible.. Well once i did it i was hooked and have enjoyed doing it alot this year...I feel doing more with less when it comes to spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a rifle and then the same on a scope is crazy.. For the wannabee tacticoool shooters here, its just a fact!!! Unless your LEO or miitary, no need for it, unless your a benchrest competition shooter you'll need much more. I just enjoy shooting for fun and my goals are pretty simple and realistic. If you can hit plates that small that far on a somewhat consistant average , it will not be a problem to take a deer or an elk at 500-600yards. JMO.. Just shoot for fun and quit pretending and running around in your cammies with yrou AR thinking yrou someone special or a freaking seal or MArine Recon unit... So too much of that shit going on these days... lol JMO

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
thats a great looking rifle. Im guessing you just started with a savage action if you did What barrel did you use. What caliber is it chambered action.

I started out with a basic Savage long action for a elk hunt that fell through, but figured what am i going ot do with amagnum in Ohio... Do some long range varmit hunting...lol Beats trying to sell it and get nothing for it, so i opted to do some upgrades to it... Savage 116FLHSS 300 Win. Mag.(foot-print) w/ Harrell's MB, SGS Stock. Action Trued-Timed w/Comp.Lug and Comp Trigger (12oz.) by SSS. KW’s Extended Mag, 30” Brux Varmit Barrel (.930”), KF 20MOA base, Burris Steel Rings, Zeiss 6.5-20x50 Mil-Dot. Its certainly not the most accrurate rifle out there and definately not the most expensive, but i have certainly learned alot to what to buy and what not to buy, if your friend isn't a GOOD gunsmith and you've built guns before its a learning process and EVERYONE IS AN EXPERT...lol I think my rifle surely does everything i need it to do, by shooting under MOA groups... Just need more practice at these 1000+ and 1500yd targets. So i hope next Spring its better for me and i can do it, the heat sucks for that type of shooting as does the sun. Just get out and shoot and have fun and be safe...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Zeiss looks like a Conquest. What do you keep your rifle zeroed at? 300 winmag is a cartridge that I currently don't run...

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Care to share what load you are using and what is the rate of twist in the Brux?

I would like to know also. I am a fan of Brux Barrels.

The load would be nice also. Shooting long distances the load and bullet design makes all the difference in the world. Until I shot long distances I never understood how a little change in B.C. can make a HUGE difference.

Beentown

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
You guys all know everyone has their preference and/or opinions which doesn't make it fact but just that opinion... I try to base mine all on fact and experience.
I'm a big fan of Brux, Norm is awesome and will help you in everyway possible. Big fans and they are one of the top makers in my opinion for sure.

As for shooting long distance there are so many varibles that need to be covered it goes from a simple post to a BOOK...lol.

The main thing regarding simple questions that need to be asked are; what type of rifle are you using (straight factory or semi custom or full on custom), then are you usign factory ammo cheap or the best, then do you plan on reloading and wiht reloading do you have good-ok-better reloading tools.. Just these simple questions make the thought of hitting a plat at 1500yds very difficult. I keep my rifle zeroed at 100yds, since i have 60+MOA of adjusment in the reticle and the 20MOA base so i can reach out wiht out adjusting iwht the mil-dots. The Zeiss is a Conquest, and yes there are a few other scopes out there that are much better at cost $3000 or more. Will they perform better, or should i say will they perform $2500 better. NOPE.... PEople buy these things jsut to say they own them... To give you an insight into who makes them i'd be glad to chat.. Most of the big names don't make their own gear just to let you know... If you have any questions bout it, shoot me a PM an i'll give ya a call. Im by no means an expert, but i can certainly help you and stir you in the most logical option. don't get fooled in to this TACTICOOL shooting bullshit. remeber you don't need a $4000 rifle to hit a elk at 600yds or even a 1000... Tha ti can tell you is a fact. Gunsmith typically love to sell you shit you don't need. its called business and their profit margin... lol.. i'd be glad ot help anyone who has questions...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I must have missed it above...

On the Zeiss I thought it only had 45 inches of elevation/windage adjustment??? I was looking at it when I bought my Vortex Viper PST.

What is the load you are using? What twist is that Brux?

I shoot long distance (by most peoples definition, definitely not 1500 yards) quite often. My everyday range is up to 800 yards I usually shoot 500 or less. Thanks to Buckrun I have some nice steel to hit! Well, hit it sometimes!

Beentown

Last edited:

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Well running a 20 or a 30 MOA base will help pick up more elevation... I'm running a 20MOA KF base.. Its steel and sweet... I know that 45miutes on the Conquest sucks for a 6.5-20, but adding a higher base helps you out. Vortex is ok, but if i was going that route an that cost i would have gone with a the new Weaver Taactical, much better in my opinion. On a side note, the Conquest scope for Zeiss is actually made by Meopta in the CK republic, only the higher end Helds scope by Zeiss made in Germany and/or the US... It took me a long time t get the skinny on some of the scope makers and the BS they pull, but the scopes are marked up over 200% for the majority. The brux is a 1-10 UTM barrel SS, also its 30" and i typically run the Honrady 208AMax with H1000 powder at 3000fps. The Berger Bullets smoke the hornady all day long, but they cost 2X as much. I've learned alot on that load and what to do... YEah i hear ya not alot of people have that far to shoot, I belong to a club that has 600yds but i also get to shoot at another Marines place out to a mile. But really its group size that is important to me, i'd like to keep it under 3/4moa for all distances past 600yds. That type of accuracy you can kill just bout anything...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Vortex is my favorite under $1k scope out now. Didn't know Hornady made an 208amax? I used my new dope chart and it says that 1500 yards on a .300 win with 3500fps, 130 grain, .357 BC gives you over a 1000 inches of drop:eek: Hopefully the shot isn't uphill or I would be just about out of adjustment!

My longer range gun right now is HOWA 1500 that has been tuned and lapped at Roedale (inluding trigger and bedding of Devcon and metal (alloy) pillars). Barrel is stock (won't replace until it needs it) but has been re-crowned. Deadnutz 20 MOA one piece base/rings ( tried them on recommendation and really like them) with the 6-24x50 mildot Vortex. I just recently got my best 5 shot group of using FGM was at .63" @ 100. Not off a bench or anything just using a field bag. It is more of a varmint gun than a long range/bench type gun.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What you guys are talking is outta my league. I just like to kill things with my "long range" guns. If I can pop a coyote at a few hundred yards I am happy. Generally though the shots are closer and I just carry my AR and a shot gun for close range on coyotes. Generally hunt at last light or dark so the AR is the most practical choice for adding lights and such. Would love to finish dialing in my 243 and 22-250 for those early morning coyote hunts though. That would be a good choice in the daylight, but I am limited to where I can hunt with them due to proximity of houses and such. Granted, it is something which ALWAYS needs to be considered no matter what round you are firing.

Hit a groundhog at 95 paces a couple weeks ago with the 17hmr. Was feeling pretty good about it until I read this thread. The distances you fellas are shooting makes me think I should have been able to spit on him at 95 paces.lmao

Last edited:

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I hear ya... i by no means am I an expert, there are plent of guys i have shot wiht that make me look like i better get back to the Marine Corps and learn how to shoot. some young some old. Its just practice. I try to hit what i aim at..lol
Soem days yoru on and some days your not.

I threw out there some info for eveyone to chomp on to think bout what they want out of their rigs. I think the gear and optics are jsut as important as the shooter.. BUT remember if you cant SEE IT you cant hit it.
Also you don't need to spend $5000 for a rifle becuase some dumbass gunsmith trying to make money off ya either.. No need for that when your hitting ground hogs at 400yds. whats the point besides to brag to people you spent all that money and cant shoot worth a shit..lol. Go factory learn it use it, shoot the barrel out of it and the rebuild it and then start popping stuff at 1500yds.... JMO

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I agree, long range shooting isn't something you can buy or learn from a book, you have to do it. That is the tough part, finding places to shoot 1000+ yards. Malvern put in a 1000 yard range last year, I'd like to try it. Used to shoot their 600 yard range some.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
awesome.. I've learned alot over the past couple years and its not that hard to hit a plat at 1000yds, but of course it depends on how big the plates are. we shoot 12x12"... Much smaller the most use, but it makes you work harder i think.
I think getting caught up in the Tacticoool Bs is a waste, but practicing from a solid platform is the ticket. Then practice from the prone if you enjoy the ticks and shit..lol

I made up this bench last year and tried selling them but no one bite. Too much money and too cheap of people for what the bench is made out of. I had 3 guys standing on it and it didn't move... ALL steel and marine varnished coating and epoxy paited the steel too.. :) I posted up some better pics in my album.. you know how everyone whats shit for nothing... Material alone was over $250... anyways enjoy.

MLS-001 Shooting Bench - 2.jpgMLS-001 Shooting Bench - 3.jpgMLS-001 Shooting Bench - 1.jpg