Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Strange rack , you seeing any werd racks ?

This guy is 2 1/2 years old at least
As I saw him / passed on him several last fall
One side is just a big button and the other a twisted mess
Also found his 1 side shed this spring

Watching him in person and on the cameras
He apears to be in good health

Wonder what caused his rack to grow that way ?

You guys got any strange racked buck pic's ?

John

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, that's pretty strange. My guess is that he injured the pedicle right at the base of the skull, at some point in his life.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
You passed on him several times last fall??? Your killin me right now...lmao

But yeah I see some strange racked deer every year. Could be injuries could be poor genetics... I'm leaning more toward poor genes though...

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You mean something like this? We had a guy trespass on our property last year and never recovered the deer. I just figured it was this guy that he didn't recover, but I suppose it could be genes.

Attachments

• PICT0206 July 9 funky rack.jpg
    PICT0206 July 9 funky rack.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 219

rossbows

You mean something like this? We had a guy trespass on our property last year and never recovered the deer. I just figured it was this guy that he didn't recover, but I suppose it could be genes.

You hunting at my place lol I have a buck on cam this year that looks just like that is left side goes straight up 12in or so and the other is a mess he looks like a two year old. He's on my wife hit list.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's some smart bucks right there. They will never have to worry about a gear chaser shooting at them lol. Good thing I don't look at racks...backstraps are way better ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He has 3 pts. on his left side and just a main beam on the right. He is a young buck so I will see what happens next year.

Gotcha. I just thought I couldn't see the other points on the right side from that angle. Yep, see what he does moving forward sounds like a good call.