Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goose hunting at Mogadore Reservoir.

Matt

Norton, OH
I drew a blind on Mogadore reservoir and this past Saturday was one of the days we had to hunt. JMMyers and his cousin Dan came along and we had a pretty fun hunt, even though we only killed 1 duck. We set up fairly early in the afternoon and had TONS of wood ducks flying in to our setup the entire afternoon and into the evening. Too bad they aren't in season... :smiley_boos: Anyways, it was nice to just sit out there and shoot the shit. Not 5 minutes before last light, we had a lone goose coming in to our setup. We had already established that Dan would be first shooter since he has yet to make a kill, so he was up. As I was calling, I told Dan to be ready since he was the shooter. HE PROCEEDS TO STAND UP IN THE BLIND AND SHOULDER HIS GUN AND GET READY!!!! :smiley_depressive: I thought for sure this goose saw him and would take off, but sure as shit it kept on coming. Finally, the goose cupped it's wings and began to land in our set and I told Dan to take him...... nothing...... nothing..... "Dan, take him!!!!" BLAM and the goose lands in the water and Jim proceeds to follow up with another shot cause it was still flappin around!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The goose was dead and congrats went all around. I waded out and retrieved the goose and just as I got back to the blind, Dan's phone alarm went off, signaling the end of legal shooting light. So, Jim and I waded out and started gathering decoys, and all of a sudden the place was a mad house. Freakin' flocks of wood ducks flying everywhere, flocks of geese coming from every direction. We actually had a big huge flock of geese try to land around us in our little patch of open water with us standing there! Probably could have shot them just standing in the water out in the open! So anyways, the day was fun. We have another blind there this week, but it's just a spot out in the open that requires us to have a boat blind to hunt from, which none of us have, so we might not actually hunt it. Then we have one last blind there in October during the regular duck season. Fun times, here's some pics...

(Jimmy, feel free to chime in, and also get Dan signed up on here!!!!)

The crew, from left Dan, Jim (JMMyers) and myself.

Our setup looking out.

Yea, I'll let Jim explain this one...

The sole goose...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good stuff!!! Glad to see you guys knocked one down.

I've been seeing tons of woodies, just hope they stick around for another month.

Matt

Norton, OH
Good stuff!!! Glad to see you guys knocked one down.

I've been seeing tons of woodies, just hope they stick around for another month.

I know man. My other spot that I have constant access to is loaded with them. My one goal this year is to get a nice looking pair and have them mounted. I would love that.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats on a successful hunt! Do you have that same blind for duck season or is it in a different spot? Geese are usually hesitant to land into vegetation like that, but man do the ducks love it... they'll pour right into that thick stuff, especially during the evening when they come back to roost. Good luck out there this season!

Matt

Norton, OH
It was a one-week type deal unfortunately. This was the first year for us to try out the drawing so we didn't really have an idea of which blinds would be good when, but we know now. Three of us went to the drawing and we each got a blind. I got this one, Jim had one for this week that is basically a stake in open water that you would need a boat blind for, which we couldn't get our hands on one, then we have another box blind on another part of the lake like the second week of duck season. It's more open than this. We got a few other places though, so we won't be hurting.

We were sitting there the whole time talking about how we wished it was regular duck season cause we woulda limited out on woodies in a few minutes. Probably won't be around when we start huntin em thoug.