Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 hunting season costs

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I was sitting here this evening and getting a ballpark of what my new bow setup will cost and the overall cost that this season has already racked up lol. I'm going to go crawl into a hole and cry now :smiley_baby:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Haha...you can't look at it that way Adam. Do yourself a favor and allocate costs such as the bow, cloths, cameras, etc. over the number of years you plan to use them. Only license, tags, gas, etc. that are only good for this yearshould be fully burdened to this years costs. This may make you feel a little better :) .

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
look at it this way, I dont spend anywere near as much on hunting and fishing as I would like to. there are some realy cool things I would love to have. so I just tell myself, I'm only buying this $200 dollar item when I could be buying that $400 item and a couple other things as well. so in that sense the 200 bucks i spent that i didnt have dosent seem so bad anymore.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
drury outdoors on facebook just showed a picture of all their new reconyx trail cams they were getting ready to put in the woods...14 cams in one pic, I estimated at $7000 - guestimate...Can you imagine!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
drury outdoors on facebook just showed a picture of all their new reconyx trail cams they were getting ready to put in the woods...14 cams in one pic, I estimated at $7000 - guestimate...Can you imagine!!

Could you imagine getting them for free. I'm sure they could. Lol.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I drop on average of $1-2K a year on hunting related costs, and it's been worse than that. Just this month alone, I'll spend close to $800 on four cams, arrows, string, food plot expenses, and a two man ladder stand. It's just a necessary evil! LOL! Granted I did a good bit of trading toys for toys, but it's still spending Benjamins!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Not counting fuel I hope to keep it around the $500 mark this year. That's not counting processing and (hopefully) taxidermy. It's been far worse in past years, but I don't foresee any big expenditures this year.

Buckmaster

Portage
I spend enough to get the Cabela's hardbound edition catalogs.

My deer meat costs me on average $ 462.00 per pound......(buy 100 acres, build cabin, build barn, buy ATV, buy tractor, buy implements, pay taxes, buy treestands, build permanent blinds/boxes, repair broken stuff, pay to get outhouse pumped out, buy game cams, buy food plot seed, buy lime, buy fertilizer, buy herbicides, buy new gun, buy new broadheads, etc.)

...but at least I still have a couple dollars left to buy; Beer.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Tracie saw the hardbound Cabelas catalog in the mail this week and says: "I don't want to know what you have to spend to get that free!" LOL!!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Tracie saw the hardbound Cabelas catalog in the mail this week and says: "I don't want to know what you have to spend to get that free!" LOL!!!

Ya know, its funny because I got one and I refuse to buy anything from Cabelas unless it's in the bargain cave. Guess I spend enough also. lol

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Haha...you can't look at it that way Adam. Do yourself a favor and allocate costs such as the bow, cloths, cameras, etc. over the number of years you plan to use them. Only license, tags, gas, etc. that are only good for this yearshould be fully burdened to this years costs. This may make you feel a little better :) .

Well, if I look at it that way it does make it seem like a lot less lol. If I use this years NEW gear for as long as I have used my old stuff it will break down to about $192 a year for the next 14 years lol.

I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to gear...well kind of. I like to buy things that will LAST years and not have to be replaced every year. It may go out of style but is still effective lol. This year will far surpass previous years as far as initial costs goes. The reason I think this year is going to be the worst for me is the fact that I have NEVER before had the ability to purchase all new gear at the same time. I usually just piece things together over the span of a couple of years so my cost per year is minimal for me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really don't buy all that much for hunting each year, compared to many others, be even still it adds up pretty damn quick. Hell, just in the past few days I've spent over $100 on food plot seed and fertilizer, and another $120 on a trailcam hahhahaha.

I get the Cabelas hardback every year, too. My neighbor is always bitchin because I get a cabelas or redhead catalog every other day it seems and he doesn't.... I just tell him he needs to buy more shit. lmao

this year i have already cleared the 2k mark on fishing related stuff , but i usually make that back every year doing tournaments , this year has been very good to me and im close to making my money back , and TOO will benefit for sposorig me , i just need to replace a few members of team uglykat if they dont start stepping up

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, let's just say I blew the budget today. I made a phone call and finally pulled the trigger on a camera. Hunting budget is screwed. Being my fourth season of what I call "serious" hunting, the last 3 years I have been forced to spend some money on camo/boots/etc. Bows suck as they are going to lose value. I don't mind spending on a gun like th 44mag I bought because it really isn't going to go down in value. I buy trail cameras with a buddy which helps the costs a bit. However, we bought 4 last year and 4 this year so that is still like 2/yr average. Difference being we both benefit from paying for 2 cameras each because we are getting pictures off 4 cameras each.

Better not get into tree stands. I must have $15k in tree stands! :smiley_crocodile: By the way guys, we have our order of Rivers Edge tree stands and Barronett blinds getting delivered on Monday!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This season was : 12 new crossbow arrows, two sets of broad heads, crossbow cock, deer cart (thanks Phil), new knife, and other odds and ends.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went and done it this morning lol. Was finally time to retire the old bow and get an entirely new setup that I had thought about doing and the reason for this thread.
Picked up a 2011 Elite Hunter, Tru Glo Extreme sigh, drop away rest, 4 1/2" S-Coil. I also picked up a dozen arrows and 2 packs of Slick Tricks. Had it all setup in a little over an hour. My Stan Shootoff Trio will be in on Wednesday and I can't wait. This is going to be a great year.