Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This seasons plot layout...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well… I guess it’s that time again! I'm gearing up to get my plots in the ground and a big part of that is simply deciding what to plant where. I'll be putting in 4 different plots this year, one in "Paradise" at my parent’s house and three at our farm. Two of the plots are established plots and the other two will be new ones. This weekend we will be clearing and spraying the plots. With any luck, I'll get them turned over next week so I can plant when we have some rain forecasted. Since all my plots have large destination feed fields (beans and corn) located within a few hundred yards of them, I plant my plots as hunting plots and let the local farmers/natural browse take care of the majority of our herds nutritional needs. I also have feeders on each property that feed roughly ten pounds of corn daily, so our deer are well feed. My plots exist for variety and to aid in the harvesting of does. Here is a look at what I am planning for this year...

Paradise and The North Plot

This will year three for Paradise and year four for the North Plot at our farm. Last year, I planted Secret Spot from North American Whitetail Institute and had tremendous success with it. I also added some Shot Plot (brassica) seed from Evolved Harvest. The deer seemed to hammer the plot all season long, so it’s hard to argue with that kind of usage. I have enough seed left to plant both plots, so it makes sense to use it up. The plot at Paradise is 2,000 square feet and the North Plot is 1,500 square feet. Both are tucked into woods with oaks surrounding the plots. These two spots are my go to doe killing spots.

Here is a look at Paradise from last season and a look at the North Plot from a couple seasons ago…

The T Plot

This will be a new location for me this year and one I have high hopes for in coming years. This plot will be roughly 6,500 square feet when finished and will provide a great hunting opportunity for the Big Dog Red Tick II that will hang over it. The plot is located next to the intersection of two creeks on our property and is located near the intersection of several major trails. I’ll be planting Evolved Harvest Winter PZ, which is my first experience with this product. The blend of winter peas, oats, and clover is one I feel our deer will thoroughly enjoy. I’ll be sure to post some pictures of this location after this weekends prep work.

Skinny Plot

I planted a small plot in this location a few years ago and had some success with it. The plot is 25’ wide and 150’ long, and sits adjacent to a creek. This is a great funnel area and the plot will be something the deer will travel through on a regular basis. This end of our farm sees a lot of morning activity as deer leave the larger fields and filter back through our farm to bed. I have high expectations for this plot given the traffic it will see. I picked up a bag of the new Rack Radish from Evolved that they Crush branded. I hate feeding the Crush beast, but it was a good buy and I like the sounds of trying something new. Here is a view of the plot area from the stand location…

I’ll be sure to snap plenty of pictures of the plots this weekend so I can better chronicle what I have in the works. Lots of work to be done, but it is always well worth it!!!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Paradise is definately deer heaven, and you can guarantee shooting a deer, unless your an idiot like me.....let all the doe pass, wait for a buck, miss said buck. Go back to Jessies with tail between legs and ashamed at your poor performance.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a great plan, brother! I'm glad to hear you've had success with the Evolved Harvest blends. Today after work, I went to a local feed mill to check out their selection. They cut me a hell of a deal on a couple bags of Evolved Harvest seed blends because the inoculant expiration date had recently passed by. I got $64 worth of seed for only $25. One is a forage rape mix, the other is a turnip/rape/clover mix... but I also picked up 3# of purple top turnips to mix in. I can't wait to see how this Evolved Harvest seed does!

Thanks for sharing the process with us and be sure to keep us posted with updates!

Buckmaster

Portage
Brassica look great in that second picture Jesse. My seed comes in on Monday. July 23rd weekend is when it all goes down.

I have on order.
168 pounds Winter Rye
100 pounds Austrilan Winter Pea
50 pounds Dutch White Clover
50 pounds Purple Top Turnip
50 pounds Rape

Currently at home I have:
200 pounds Oats
150 pounds red clover
40 pounds of Antler King Red Zone

I'll have my work cut out for me.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Looking very nice Jesse. Is the Skinny plot the revene that I overlooked when hunting on top of that ridge on that fence row? I am thinking that it looks familiar.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Looking very nice Jesse. Is the Skinny plot the revene that I overlooked when hunting on top of that ridge on that fence row? I am thinking that it looks familiar.

Yes. I'm moving that stand off the fenceline and over to a tree on the edge of the overgrown field just south of that ladder stand. It'll be a nice set for bow and gun...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brassica look great in that second picture Jesse. My seed comes in on Monday. July 23rd weekend is when it all goes down.

I have on order.
168 pounds Winter Rye
100 pounds Austrilan Winter Pea
50 pounds Dutch White Clover
50 pounds Purple Top Turnip
50 pounds Rape

Currently at home I have:
200 pounds Oats
150 pounds red clover
40 pounds of Antler King Red Zone

I'll have my work cut out for me.

Holy Schnikees! What do you have, like 20 acres of food plots to plant?!?!? lol That's a butt-load of seed! (Wish I had that much to do though hahaha)

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
Holy Schnikees! What do you have, like 20 acres of food plots to plant?!?!? lol That's a butt-load of seed! (Wish I had that much to do though hahaha)

That's what I was wondering. 50# of turnips and rape is enough to plant over 10 acres. Good for you if you have that much acreage to plant. Sure would be a lot of work.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's what I was wondering. 50# of turnips and rape is enough to plant over 10 acres. Good for you if you have that much acreage to plant. Sure would be a lot of work.

Depends on what equipment you are running I guess. Not sure exactly where Buckmaster is, but we are in ag country up here. Tractors available if you know the farmer. lol

Buckmaster

Portage
Not sure exactly where Buckmaster is, but we are in ag country up here. Tractors available if you know the farmer. lol

It's in hill country of Jefferson Co. I have a Ford 2000 tractor at Deer Camp (36 horse gas). I typically lay my seed down at 1.5-2.0 the recommended ratio to provide best coverage.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Yes. I'm moving that stand off the fenceline and over to a tree on the edge of the overgrown field just south of that ladder stand. It'll be a nice set for bow and gun...

Sounds good. Hope I get to give it a try again this fall. :smiley_coolpeace:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All 3 plots around cut out, talk about a long morning! Eating lunch now, then back to clear some access trails and check the cam. Had a little more to do, but after playing two ball games last night and clearing a 1/4 acre worth of plots, I'm ready for beer-thirty!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's a look at what went down Saturday. This first plot is located next the creek and will contain winter peas. It was not as big as I had hoped, but considering we carved this out with weedeaters and rakes in a little over an hour, I'll take it...

This plot took us about an hour and will contain oats, rye, clover, turnips, and rapes. It's a damn fine little hunting plot...

This plot could stand to have been a lot bigger as well, but until I can figure out where to get access to the right equipment and how to get it here, this will have to do. The way it stands, this works nicely as a hunting plot as it opens up a choked off creek bottom...

Still lots of work to be done, including the plot at Paradise. But it's starting to come together!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Those look awesome, Jesse! Did you do all of those with just rakes?!?!? If so, I gotta tip my hat to you brother... that's a shitload of work!

Buckmaster

Portage
Those look awesome, Jesse! Did you do all of those with just rakes?!?!? If so, I gotta tip my hat to you brother... that's a shitload of work!

I have to agree. Thank God I have a tractor and a brush hog. I broke a sweat just looking at your work. Put the the following on your "To Purchase List" Jesse, tractor 30 hp+, brush hog, and disc.