Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SERPA- beware...PROFANITY WARNING!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have been doing some draw, point, shoot drills with my concealed carry rigs. After feeling good with my IWB rigs I pulled out the holster I use for range/classes/open carry (SERPA) and started doing more draw drills. Pulled once and the retention button didn't work...practicing like my life depended on it I pushed harder on the button and pulled harder. The gun released and my finger grazed the trigger. Got lucky and no boom. I think I was clear of myself and anything else but not 100%.....call it 90%

I was looking online for different set ups people were using and came across this from another forum. I am posting this just to make people aware of what I see as a design flaw in these holsters. It is just MHO but I have seen enough issues and had a near one myself today that steeled my opinion. The guy in the video blames himself and not the holsters but I believe that the holster just begs for an ND... Just my own little version of a public service announcement.

[video=youtube;zC5nh172Dt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC5nh172Dt4[/video]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
He drew the serpa by pushing the button with the tip of his finger... That's a No No.. You should always push the release with a fully extended finger and use the hard spot in the crease of the first knuckle. This places your finger extended and along the frame when the pistol exits the holster. With a hooked finger pushing the button it goes right into the trigger guard after draw, and, well, you shoot yourself in he leg.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I believe most people can use a SERPA with no issues but I believe the design lends to having a negligent discharge. The other issue is that they are made so cheaply (other than the LEO version) that you can literally rip it of pretty easily.

Beentown