Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In exactly 5 days..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'll be on a plane headed to Seattle, Washington! I'm goin on a trip with my uncle out west to do some fishing on the Columbia River. It's a guided trip that lasts 3 days, hopefully we'll get into a mess of salmon. Then the last 4 days I'll spend my time on a guided boat in the Pacific Ocean deep sea fishing! I'm pretty excited for it, just the sights and weather will be badass, then catchin fish half the size of a grown man, whew. lol. I plan on taking plenty of pictures and livin it up. :pickle:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I'll send some money for a cooler and dry ice so that you can send me some fish! Have fun and be safe!

Beentown

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Had a few secs to get on a computer, the trips goin awsome so far, caught some king salmon today in the friggin rain. Still a blast! I'm gettin some decent pics to post up when i get home. BTW, it hasnt gotten over 82 degrees here, i wore a sweatshirt all day lol, figured i'd rub it in a little.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well I've been back since Saturday but im just now takin the time to sit down and do a little write up of my trip. It was a great time, with perfect weather and amazing food. I saw probably the prettiest part of the country, I'll get some pics up later on.

DAY 1: Up at 4:30, head to Columbus to catch my layover flight to Vegas. Then to Seattle. It was a sweet flight because my uncle and I sat by THE reigning Miss America. No kiddin, she was Miss America last year and was headin to Vegas to judge some beauty pageant. She was a real down to Earth girl, not hard to look at either :pickle:. But that's about the extent of the fun for Day 1.

Day 2: Up at 7, and head to Ihop for a huge breakfast. Then we went over to Fred Meyer (kroger) and liscensed up. Then to a little town named Brewster. It's a tiny town, but pretty nice. We stayed at the only motel there, called the Apple Avenue Inn. They had 17 rooms lol. I was asleep by 7:45.

Day 3: Up at 2:40, Head to Exxon to meet the fishing guide. His name was Jerrod Gibbons, he was a pretty cool dude, he does guided hunts TOO. He lives the friggin life. But then we went to a spot on the Columbia river that was above a dam. What sucked was that he said better fishing was below the dam, but they had the dam open letting water thru. And there was like 8 foot waves haha. Anyhow, we saw the sunrise come up over the mountains on the Columbia River. It was awsome! I got a decent pic of that. Now to the fishing, above the dam we didnt have any luck. We were fishing for King Salmon, using down riggers and crang baits. So we went below the dam and tried it out. Between the crazy waves, the rain (btw it rains there on average once every 2 months, so of course i had no rain gear), and the chilly temp, i was freezing. But we stuck it out and i ended up landing @ kings and 1 sockeye. Those kings fight so hard, even a 16 or so pounder like the one i caught. This was probly my favorite day.

Day 4: Headed to Westport for the deep sea fishing. We got the the Westport Inn at around 4:30, then walked around on the beach. It was a pretty uneventful day, but some great sights nonetheless.

Day 5: Got on the "Tequila Too" at 5:30. It was a 53 foot Charter boat. So i'm on the boat, and here come a bunch of mexicans, now im not prejudice, but it was kinda annoying that they all kept speaking mexican. So then i see alot of other people coming on, and at first i didnt think anything of it. Then i see them all using hand language. So theres my group of 4, 4 mexicans and a bunch of mute's. Sooo i didnt make a whole lot of convo on the trip haha. So we're on the way out, and heerrre comes the rain and waves, again. Theres swells that were up to 10 feet. So on the way out i feel fine...then the boat stops and we start fishing. It wasnt 15 minutes later i was feelin a little queezy. From then on it got worse. I was sick the entire trip, which was 6 hrs of fishing, and a 2 hr ride in. Now my uncle works on huge ships for a living and is always at sea, and has never gotten sick, but he did this time. There wer a total of 4 people that DIDNT get sick on that trip. Talk about miserable, and i didnt catch one friggin fishh. So i was glad to get back to the doc.

Day 6: Up at 7, headed to Puget Bay. We got on my uncles personal 32 foot boat, it was pretty sweet. That was the only day of fishing with good weather, im talkin lower 70's sunny and breezy. We didn't catch any fish, but ah well. However, we did set some crab pots and caught some crab. TOO bad some jackass stole crabs out of one of our pots. Then we had a huuuge feast of Salmon, crab, shrimp, taters, and corn on the cob. Phew!

Day 7: We made our track back to Ohio. Seattle to Alberquirque, then Chicage to Columbus. I finally made it home around midnight.

Overall it was a great trip, regardless of only catching 3 fish lol. The weather was amaaazing. I was in a t shirt twice, the rest the time it was long sleeves and sweat shirts. Between that and the scenery, i didnt wanna leave.