Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

food plots

rossbows

What's a good fall plot to put in. I have a two acre plot surrounded by thick woods and bedding area I planted beans in most of it but they are not doing will with the no rain. They are thin want to plant something else in there to hold the big deer. Thanks for the input.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brassicas are good for a fall plot, but you're gonna need to plant them fairly soon. If time is an issue, a mixture of forage oats/winter rye/clover will make a really attractive plot that can be planted late August to early September. An ideal fall plot would be corn or beans, but you need these to be good-sized plots to keep the deer from destroying them to early.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have had good luck with blended mixes like Evolved Harvest's Throw and Gro mixed with some Shot Plot to boost brassica content. I've also planted Secret Spot from North American Whitetail Institute with good luck. Once I have some better equipment for planting, I plan on blending my own mixes in the future...

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I'll throw in vote for a blend containing clover and a cereal grain such as winter wheat or winter rye. Where we hunt, the too many deer eat all my brassicas before bow season as soon as they come up. The winter grains, especially rye keep growing in the colder fall temps even after the clover stops. We had deer pouring into the plots last fall. If you are interested, I could locate the blend info I found and used last year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll throw in vote for a blend containing clover and a cereal grain such as winter wheat or winter rye. Where we hunt, the too many deer eat all my brassicas before bow season as soon as they come up. The winter grains, especially rye keep growing in the colder fall temps even after the clover stops. We had deer pouring into the plots last fall. If you are interested, I could locate the blend info I found and used last year.

Do us a favor and post it up whenever you get time. Sharing seed blends that have proved to be successful is always encouraged around here! :)

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Ok JBrown,
This is one of the best links: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25851 to check out. I would buy Lickcreek a drink if he were in Ohio for all of the great info he posted.

Last year we planted a mixture of: a bushel of winter rye or wheat (56 pounds) per acre with 10 pounds of clover per acre. We used three different types of perennial clovers for variety, one red and two whites. The soil was prepped before-hand by killing off the vegetation with gly and in years past lime was added to correct the pH. We planted around labor day weekend. The planting date is important because you don't want the grain to get too tall, stemmy and ignored before season. Before planting, we disced the plot, broadcast and rolled the field (because we don't have a cultipacker) Atvs work well too. Try it, you'll like it.

rossbows, sorry if I hijacked your thread. Mods, you can move this if needed.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I'm sure you would like some evidence............

What is the largest image size I can post? The site keeps telling me the image is too large. thanks.

Attachments

• 10-9336-1.jpg
    10-9336-1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 188

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok JBrown,
This is one of the best links: http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25851 to check out. I would buy Lickcreek a drink if he were in Ohio for all of the great info he posted.

Last year we planted a mixture of: a bushel of winter rye or wheat (56 pounds) per acre with 10 pounds of clover per acre. We used three different types of perennial clovers for variety, one red and two whites. The soil was prepped before-hand by killing off the vegetation with gly and in years past lime was added to correct the pH. We planted around labor day weekend. The planting date is important because you don't want the grain to get too tall, stemmy and ignored before season. Before planting, we disced the plot, broadcast and rolled the field (because we don't have a cultipacker) Atvs work well too. Try it, you'll like it.

rossbows, sorry if I hijacked your thread. Mods, you can move this if needed.

Thanks for the info, man!