Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best attractant for pics

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Corn is the ticket year round IMO. Summer is a great time to use minerals mixes or salt/mineral blocks. I've had great success with corn and minerals both in the summer...

I use 2 methods
1 is a mineral lick
The other is a natural crossing .......I am using where a lane crosses from a CPR feild to a corn feild
Makes sort of a 4 way deer crossing

John

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Corn is the ticket year round IMO. Summer is a great time to use minerals mixes or salt/mineral blocks. I've had great success with corn and minerals both in the summer...

corn and mineral block here too.

(however I hope like pictures of Coons...lol)

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
My big fan is to dig a hole about 2' square and 6-8" deep, pick up either a mineral block or salt block and pour a 5gallon bucket of molassas over the top... that last for a couple of years. The deer dig in that area for years... Its a cheap fix too... Go to your local feed guy ask about the molassas and buy it by the 5gallon not the crap from walmart.... Then you start kicking the moultrie directional feeder come later August just before the mid September bucks start rubbing....

Oh the other big go to is to use apples... ALL deer will choose apple over all other stuff 100% of the time.....

thats what i do... JMO

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My big fan is to dig a hole about 2' square and 6-8" deep, pick up either a mineral block or salt block and pour a 5gallon bucket of molassas over the top... that last for a couple of years. The deer dig in that area for years... Its a cheap fix too... Go to your local feed guy ask about the molassas and buy it by the 5gallon not the crap from walmart.... Then you start kicking the moultrie directional feeder come later August just before the mid September bucks start rubbing....

Oh the other big go to is to use apples... ALL deer will choose apple over all other stuff 100% of the time.....

thats what i do... JMO

I gotta agree with this, right here. Mineral blocks, salt blocks and corn all do a great job pulling in the deer... But I haven't seen anything that draws them in better than a pile of fresh apples!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Stupid question, but not worthy of a new thread... do you guys that use apples get coons on the apples? Sorry for the thread hijack TS67...

Not really. I've yet to put a cam over an apple pile, but last season I had it pointing under an apple tree for a couple months and I don't think I ever got one coon on film at that spot. All of my mineral/salt sites get pounded by the coons, though... And if I throw out corn, their on it like stink on shit.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I gotta agree with this, right here. Mineral blocks, salt blocks and corn all do a great job pulling in the deer... But I haven't seen anything that draws them in better than a pile of fresh apples!

I checked 6 apple trees today that i usually use for deer. Not a Single one will produce this year.

Stupid question, but not worthy of a new thread... do you guys that use apples get coons on the apples? Sorry for the thread hijack TS67...

Yes. I was pouring out a 50 gallon drum of apples in this one spot along a creek last year.. They would be gone in a week and a half. The whole area smelled like a hog pen from all the coons.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Maybe I just don't have the density of coons but whenever I put out apples or pears the deer get them first. I only bait set ups that are at a trail head going into an Ag field edge. Maybe that is a difference?

Beentown

Huckleberry Finn

I checked 6 apple trees today that i usually use for deer. Not a Single one will produce this year.

Yea, whats the deal with that? We had 8 trees at mom and dads, used to produce apples like CRAZY. Last year we did lose a few of the trees and are down to 3 now I think, but there's not an apple to be found on any of them...I'd like to say 'pollination' bc there are significantly less trees, but that just doesn't make sense to me...not a single apple on 3 trees. Wet spring? Bad frost? Who knows??

(Oh, and sorry Adam...forgot to mention this to ya, but there won't be any apples this year for either of us! :( )

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yea, whats the deal with that? We had 8 trees at mom and dads, used to produce apples like CRAZY. Last year we did lose a few of the trees and are down to 3 now I think, but there's not an apple to be found on any of them...I'd like to say 'pollination' bc there are significantly less trees, but that just doesn't make sense to me...not a single apple on 3 trees. Wet spring? Bad frost? Who knows??

(Oh, and sorry Adam...forgot to mention this to ya, but there won't be any apples this year for either of us! :( )

That just sucks....DANG !!! Start a bee hive out back and see if that helps for next year hahaha.

Hey, I have a open barrel for corn if I can get that filled again this year lol. Need some for the deer and for the DP traps for the coon this winter lol.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
My apple tree in my back yard is loaded this year, and its a single tree no other one around, I got 5 garbage bags off of it last year and it has way more this year than last, gonna be doing alot of hauling apples into front of the trailcams this year, used corn for pics some last year TOO, but if the price keeps up the way it is it will just be apples and Jesses mineral mix this year

Schu72

Streetsboro
I tried something called a "crunch block" that I picked up at Cabelas the other week. When I got to my site yesterday I was thrilled. The block had been destroyed. It was totally gone in 2 weeks even the ground was tore up where the block was sitting. I could not wait to get home and look at the picks! Even during the drive I was trying to figure out how I could get more of those blocks asap. Once home, I rush in the house and throw th SD card in my laptop and I had 2210 pictures in 3 days!:smiley_coolpeace: Except they were almost all coons!:smiley_blackeye: I had tuned my camera up to 8mp becasue I was sured I was finally going to get some good buck pics. After 3 days the card was full. I only had two series of pics with a little 6 point. Everything else was coon after coon after coon. Lesson learned I guess. I'll be turning the cam back to 5 mp and increase the delay between pics and NO MORE FOOD, only minerals this time of year.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Almost no apples for me this year either (about 10 trees ) but the pear tree (2) looks full of em?! WTF

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I tried something called a "crunch block" that I picked up at Cabelas the other week. When I got to my site yesterday I was thrilled. The block had been destroyed. It was totally gone in 2 weeks even the ground was tore up where the block was sitting. I could nopt wait to get home and look at the picks! Even during the drive I was trying to figure out how I could get more of those blocks asap. Once home, I rush in the house and throw th SD card in my laptop and I had 2210 pictures in 3 days!:smiley_coolpeace: Except they were almost all coons!:smiley_blackeye: I had tuned my camera up to 8mp becasue I was sured I was finally going to get some good buck pics. After 3 days the card was full. I only had two series of pics with a little 6 point. Everything else was coon after coon after coon. Lesson learned I guess. I'll be turning the cam back to 5 mp and increase the delay between pics and NO MORE FOOD, only minerals this time of year.

Had the same thing happen last year with apples at one of my spots, but I had thrown them over one of my mineral sites, so I'm not sure if they were after the minerals or the apples. They might have ate a few of them, but for the most part the apples just sat there and rotted. Needless to say I didn't hunt that set once last year!