Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

open carry question

as all or most of you know i help out at a paylake , and part of my duties includes doing late night checks on the lake and any one there, here is my question with owners permisiion am i allowed to open carry while doing my late night checks

aArticle I, Section 1.04

The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security; but standing armies, in time of peace, are dangerous to liberty, and shall not be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You can open carry walking down the street if you really wanted to. Just most people don't do it anymore lol.

Remember the guy that open carried into a Taco Bell last year lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Open carry is perfectly legal in Ohio. I know a dude that does it everywhere and uses a S&W Model 29 to do it. I do it on occasion but only when going from field to field. I prefer to have suprise on my side.

Beentown

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You can open carry walking down the street if you really wanted to. Just most people don't do it anymore lol.

Remember the guy that open carried into a Taco Bell last year lol.

Jinx...typing at the same time.

May have been me Adam!

Beentown

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Wasnt there an issue with a gentleman carrying at an ice cream parlor as well and got sighted for inducing panic?

Yes.

There have been a few other cases here in Ohio as well. The inducing panic is the only charge they can ticket you with but I think most have been tossed out of court unless your waving the thing around like an idiot.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
What they said.
(unless you have some dark past that prevent you from owning a gun.)

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Whats funny is that I usually don't get a second look when open carrying. I either get the "he looks like a cop" verfication nod or most often, people just don't give a crap about anyone else and don't notice.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
we have had some real doozies at the lake this year coming in real late at night , and i just wanna make sure that if more then one gives me trouble , they will back off with a piece on my side

It may avoid some trouble... But it also opens you up to other risks because you lose the element of surprise.

If their goal is robbery or assault. They will wait to assault you until they are close enough to grab your gun... Or they will just shoot you right off the bat..

Concealed carry is about the element of surprise. And the bad guy not knowing you're armed until he hears a bang.. It allows you to keep a watchful eye on the situation, blend in, look like just another victim, etc.. all of these things keep the focus off of you..

But in the end it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it...

Personally. I would just conceal it as long as i stayed on the property.. But that would be illegal, and I can't tell you to do that..

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
It may avoid some trouble... But it also opens you up to other risks because you lose the element of surprise.

If their goal is robbery or assault. They will wait to assault you until they are close enough to grab your gun... Or they will just shoot you right off the bat..

Concealed carry is about the element of surprise. And the bad guy not knowing you're armed until he hears a bang.. It allows you to keep a watchful eye on the situation, blend in, look like just another victim, etc.. all of these things keep the focus off of you..

But in the end it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it...

Personally. I would just conceal it as long as i stayed on the property.. But that would be illegal, and I can't tell you to do that..

I resemble that statement...

uglykat26 said:
im good on owning guns, looks like im going pistol shopping
uglykat26,
I recommend shooting what you intend to purchase...before purchasing. It's well worth the time and money spent at an indoor range to find what you're looking for and not having "buyer's remorse", after paying $400+ for a handgun.

I also recommend the CCW course. I was very pleasantly suprised to learn as much about gun laws and tactics, during the course. The only thing that shocked me was the total lack of gun knowledge of a few of the students, in the class. I stood well behind the instructor, during the range demonstrations. :smiley_chinrub:

Here are a couple of CCW websites that will feed your need:
http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum
http://ohioccwforums.org/index.php

Good hunting, Bowhunter57