Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Network Security/Cyber Warfare

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
OK this has been a topic that I've pondered and which has interested me for years now. Back in '05 when I started my Network Security degree, the thought of a network intrusion as an act of war seemed pretty far fetched to me. I thought there was no way that our government's networks could be compromised.

I can remember back when the last Die Hard movie came out, where the power grids and communication channels, etc. were compromised and a buddy of mine asked me, "hey you are in the security field, think that could ever happen?" I was like no way, with the intelligence and security teams we have there no way possible we would let that happen.

The recent breaches of major networks such as Sony,Lockheed Martin, and countless other medium to large sized organizations have really swayed my opinion in the other direction. How secure are our power grids/water plants/oil refineries/and other sensitive government networks?

Everyone knows that the US lacks in the area of technology when compared to foreign countries, namely China. What happens if a more technology capable nation gets a burr up their ass and starts launching attacks? What about the recent take down of some key Al-Qaeda web sites and forums, suspected of being hacked by government sponsored hackers from either the US or the UK, which I doubt we ever know for sure.

I don't know enough about our defense department and government sponsored security firms to formulate an opinion on how safe I think our networks are, but just wanted to open this up for opinions. I'm strongly considering furthering my education on the security portion of my degree rather than the regular Networking portion, I think there is going to be a good job market for these positions here in the future.

Figured this would be an interesting debate/conversation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As a whole the internet is woefully insecure. Especially websites as they have to face the world and can't be burred under layers of all encompassing security. Anything in the security field is a hot market.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The way I look at it is..if a code can be written a code can be broken. Hell a lot of the Government team of hackers came from the private sector and was caught trying to hack a government site or facility and instead of tossing them in prison they put them to work for the Government lol.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Much of the hacking against US-based companies - both criminal and light-hearted - reportedly originates from within the US. But daring cyber assaults on Lockheed Martin and Google allegedly came from a centre in eastern China.

Interesting....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I think if someone wants in bad enough, they could get in. Its only as good as the guy or team that wrote it.
As with most things, there is always someone smarter, faster or more creative in the wings to use their skills for good or Eeeevil.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
95% of all the attacks originate in either china or russia. And 4% from India, Pakistan, or other middle east countries. I would venture to say that 90% of it is china though.