Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow Tunning / Terminal Velosity

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have never had them do any work myself. I have visited down there and they do have a nice shop. I can't recall ever hearing anything bad about them either. Hope this helps. :smiley_coolpeace:

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
I recently heard Terminal Velocity is going out of business. You may want to call them to verify, however...you know how internet rumors are.

tuffshot

The Crew
True on the going out of business.
Mike is doing some work out of his home where he origionally started from, his house is not far from where the shop was.
Brad is also still making strings but I think he lives in Logan.

Little Johns Archery is out by Ross Lake and Phil is still working on bows.
He sells Darton and Alpine

Last edited:

Spothogg

Central Md
Well, not no one, but a few guys have said " if it groups well..." It has a 2 1/2 to 3" nock high tear. Ok for shooting spots or foam but not so great with a BH screwed on. If I had a press that would press it I would try to work on it myself.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, not no one, but a few guys have said " if it groups well..." It has a 2 1/2 to 3" nock high tear. Ok for shooting spots or foam but not so great with a BH screwed on. If I had a press that would press it I would try to work on it myself.

What bow are you shooting Dan?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

That's a hell of a big tear. What kind of bow? What kind of rest? Have you checked for fletching contact with the rest?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

More than likely it is tied to your nocking point. You can start by checking to make sure your rest is square with the loop/nocking point; then verify that your arrow centers the berger (thread portion of the riser that accepts the bolt from your rest). I'd paper tune it again after rechecking everything, then adjust the rest according to a paper tuning guide. PaperTuning.com. If you've done good work to this point, the corrections should be minimal. If you get a right tear, you are shooting too stiff a shaft. You can check that on Eastons site. Easton Arrow Selection Chart.

If that doesn't work, then as a last resort I'd look at adding twist to the string. Nock high tear can be an indicator that your cam is not rotating all the way. What kind of bow do you have? It could be tied to a draw stop issue, or you might need to add some twist to the string. If the draw is right and you feel comfortable, I'd leave the draw stops alone (assuming you have them) and add some twists to the string.

There are other corrections TOO like adjusting tension on the spring if you have a spring loaded rest like a QAD. The adjustment can be as simple as moving a nock point down, or rest up. It's something that can easily be fixed with the right tools and information. I don't see any reason a skilled bow tech could not have you shooting bullet holes in 30 minutes or less...

Print one of these off and stash it in the shitter at work. Lots of handy information in here: Easton Bow Tuning Guide

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good information Jesse. . . I think. You just showed me how dumb I am about bow tuning. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good information Jesse. . . I think. You just showed me how dumb I am about bow tuning. lmao

HAHA! Who said I knew what I was talking about?!? LOL! :smiley_blackeye:

I do a good bit of reading on AT searching for bow tuning issues. I have gained a good bit of knowledge by hitting Google up for tuning questions, then following several links looking for solutions. Hands on wise, I can do the majority of the work if I have the tools; I simply lack most of the tools. I've learned a good bit from asking questions and being active in my tuning at the shop. Most guys leave their shit there; I'm the asshole the watched every move and gets involved in the process! LOL! The last link to Easton's Tuning Guide is a priceless link IMO. I have a copy in my bow case and one in the shitter at work. The best learning tool is experience, but you can't underestimate what you can gain by researching things on Google. It seems more often than not, I end up on AT reading through threads about tuning. That's a great place to learn how to troubleshoot.

What I'm saying is, I need a life!!! rotflmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
At least it is beneficial information for you Jesse. I wouldn't say "you need a life" I would just say you are passionate about the sport.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am shooting K&K Vindicator,

Maybe that's why no one wants to touch it.... There aren't very many of those bows out there so it's an unfamiliar bow to most bow techs I'd assume. Why don't you just send it back to Kevin Strothers?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Tell that to my wife, Phil...

x2 on that one...

I was paper tuning a week or so ago, when I hear a voice from the top of the stairs, "What the hell are you doing shooting your bow in the house?!?!"

Yeah..... passionate.... that's the ticket.