Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been considering...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
a new bow. I already sold my 3d rig due to lack of use. All I have left for compounds is my trusty Mathews LX (hunting rig). I have been contemplating buying a new one but haven't seen anything the new ones offer that would justify the cost.

The LX is everything I like in a hunting bow. Longer, but not TOO long (just over 34"). Plenty fast and light. Accurate. The only thing I would change is to have a bit larger brace height (currently 7").

So tell me what I am missing! Has there been that big of a change to justify me having to add another $500+ dollars after adding the money from selling my current rig? The only bigger change is the prices have shot through the roof and the bows are really short, which I don't like a short bow.

Sell me on it.

Beentown

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I shot the new Elite "Hunter" which has a 7 1/2' Brace Height and its a fantastic bow. This will be my next bow for sure. There was zero shock, quiet as can be and you just cant beat that wall. You feel like you can hold it at full draw for days!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Can't go wrong with an Elite, Charles. The new ones are definitely sexy, but if you don't feel like blowing a huge wad of cash, you can't go wrong with one of the 2010 models either. The Z28 is a great hunting bow, but if you're looking for a little bit longer ATA, check out a GT500... these are sweet shooters as well. I bet you could find a nice one on AT classifieds.

I don't really know how old an LX is, but if it's more than five or six years old, I'd say the difference of a new bow would be like night and day IMO. My PSE Nova was going on eleven years, and when I bought my new Z28 last summer it was such a huge change that it took a good bit of time to get used to. Now, I wish that I would have upgraded sooner. Don't get me wrong, the PSE was a great bow to me over the years... but you just can't ignore technological advances. The new bows are faster, quieter, lighter, more efficient, better looking... the list goes on and on. Will an older bow kill deer? Of course it will. But increased efficiency and speed gives you more room for error and a longer effective range. Here's something to think about... It took me ten (10) years of shooting to achieve my first robbin hood. Lots of close calls, busted nocks... but the true robbin hood took 10 yrs. Last summer, I bought the Elite Z28, and after only two months I had achieved three (3) robbin hoods. Now this could be just a coincidence... could be just plain luck... or, it could be than I'm a more consistent, accurate archer with my new bow. I like to think that it's the bow... I gotta justify the cost somehow. lmao

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Bernie, if you are serious about buying a new bow, my suggestion to you would be to shoot a few, then watch for a deal on AT on the one you like. I agree that prices are ridiculous ib new bows right now, but you can find some damn good deals on AT. I also shoot an Elite and am more than pleased with it. Jim and Wayne pretty much covered it all with that brand, so I won't say anything else about them, other than they are awesome.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The LX isn't really that old. One that would be in the running would be the GT500. I had said that I only had one compound left but that is incorrect. I have a PSE Nova for bowfishing. The LX is night and day above the Nova. I might just go shoot some and see the difference. Hell, I will actually shoot some of your guys at the BEC shoot if possible.

The only other real issue with my LX is that it will rip most peoples arms off if you start to let up a bit. The valley is tiny which is kind of a positive.

Beentown

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You need to draw an Elite and then try to let it down. You feel like you have to push the string forward to get it to let down!

I would suggest shooting a bunch of different bows. That LX will kill 'em dead for years to come, but there is something to be said for the shootability and performance of the new bows. And they'll be killing deer for years to come as well. It's all about preference IMO. If you want a new bow, then shoot as many as you can and buy the one that fits you and your needs the best. If you're unsure, I'd stick with the LX as it is a great bow despite it's age.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You need to draw an Elite and then try to let it down. You feel like you have to push the string forward to get it to let down!

I would suggest shooting a bunch of different bows. That LX will kill 'em dead for years to come, but there is something to be said for the shootability and performance of the new bows. And they'll be killing deer for years to come as well. It's all about preference IMO. If you want a new bow, then shoot as many as you can and buy the one that fits you and your needs the best. If you're unsure, I'd stick with the LX as it is a great bow despite it's age.

That is where my head is at. Can you guys give me a list off the top of your heads of bows that compare to the stats of the gt500?

Beentown

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good luck finding a place to shoot a Strothers, and IMO, the Judge isn't really what Beenie is looking for. If I were you, I would shoot the new Mathews bows, find one you like, and then shoot it against the Elite lineup and see what you think. IMO, Bowtech, Hoyt and PSE have a lot harsher draw cycle. The single cam Diamonds aren't bad. What kind of draw length/weight do you shoot?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Greg,

I shoot 80# limbs at about 73 pounds usually. Draw length of 28.5 because I use a longer release and for winter (another plus of a larger brace height that means I could go back to 29 with by Black Diamond release) because of puffy clothes.

Beentown

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
MY DL is 28.5 and I use a Tru Ball Pro Diamond on my GT500. The pinkie knuckle of my fist is right on my rear jaw line. You could definately go back farther back with a wrist strap release. Elite has 80# limbs. You would probably have to order them because not too many people shoot that high of poundage, I would if my rotator cuffs werent so bad.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Beener,

I have been doing a little looking myself so this thread is great for me as well. I looked te other day and the closest Elite Deal is Calidonia for me or you have one in Hillard called A-1 archery. I have heard good things about the one up here in Calidonia and I hope to check it out Friday evening if you want to meet up and go with me. They carry a few other brands and you can test out a few.

http://www.hoffmanarcheryproshop.com/news.html

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm with Greg. Shoot the Z7 Extreme and see what you think Beener. I shot it last week and loved it. We have similar tastes in bows from the sounds of it and I think you would like it. The Elite GT500 and the Elite Hunter are also bad ass bows. Strothers makes a mean rig, but it's not one I would buy...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Greg,

I shoot 80# limbs at about 73 pounds usually. Draw length of 28.5 because I use a longer release and for winter (another plus of a larger brace height that means I could go back to 29 with by Black Diamond release) because of puffy clothes.

Beentown

I don't recall where you are located, but you are more than welcome to shoot my bow anytime. I'm @ 29" and 69lbs, but 29" on an Elite is more like 28.5 on everything else. I would even be willing to possibly meet up with you if you would like.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck finding a place to shoot a Strothers, and IMO, the Judge isn't really what Beenie is looking for. If I were you, I would shoot the new Mathews bows, find one you like, and then shoot it against the Elite lineup and see what you think. IMO, Bowtech, Hoyt and PSE have a lot harsher draw cycle. The single cam Diamonds aren't bad. What kind of draw length/weight do you shoot?

I made the exact same observations when I was bow shopping. For me, the decision came down to the Mathews Z7 and the Elite Z28. For me, the Elite was the clear winner... for others, it may have been the Mathews. Check out the Z28, GT500, Pure, Hunter, and any of the Mathews Z7s. Out of those, I'm sure there'd be at least one that you'd fall in love with. I think you'd be ok going with 70 lb limbs, though. I mean, you're not shooting maxed out at 80 lbs right so why have 80 lb limbs? My Z28 has 70 lb limbs and it's draw weight measures in at 72-73 lbs. I've always heard that bows are more efficient when set up near peak draw weight anyway. Just a thought.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have no problem going with lower poundage limbs. I used to be a speed freak :) I am pretty far away from you Greg or I would definately take you up on that.

Beentown

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Beener,

I have been doing a little looking myself so this thread is great for me as well. I looked te other day and the closest Elite Deal is Calidonia for me or you have one in Hillard called A-1 archery. I have heard good things about the one up here in Calidonia and I hope to check it out Friday evening if you want to meet up and go with me. They carry a few other brands and you can test out a few.

http://www.hoffmanarcheryproshop.com/news.html

Went and shot the Hunter and the Pure as well as the PSE bow madness XS.

I have always been a PSE guy but I have to tell you..I was not impressed with the BM XS. I had a hell of a time getting it to breakover and I have no idea why.

Now the Elites I had no problems getting pulled back and I live the stops. The guy that owns the shop has an Elite and he showed me his setup after I talked to him about the stops. He says " Watch this " The guy pulled his bow back and points it at the floor.....The fugger let go of his brace and the bow just sat there at full draw...now that's impressive if you ask me lol.

He has the Elite at a good price from what I can tell but man is that a chunck of change lol. I had the checkbook with me but I just couldn't let myself write one out without thinking about it first lol.