Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brassicas

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There's been some discussion going on here lately regarding food plots and of course since we're getting close to July now, brassica planting has been mentioned. I've been planning on planting some sort of brassica mix here pretty soon, so I was doing a little online research today and stumbled on some amazing information. Go to the link below and spend a few minutes reading through it. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=566

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
There's been some discussion going on here lately regarding food plots and of course since we're getting close to July now, brassica planting has been mentioned. I've been planning on planting some sort of brassica mix here pretty soon, so I was doing a little online research today and stumbled on some amazing information. Go to the link below and spend a few minutes reading through it. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=566

Yep! The guy who created this website is a food plot guru. I learned a lot from Lickcreek (his iowa whitetail and qdm screen name). I swear by his mixes and he has years and years of experience.

Keep in mind, as he mentions in his articles, sometimes deer have to "learn" to eat brassicas, especially turnips. Therefore, make sure to mix some type of rape and radish in with your turnip plantings. There are tons of different varieties of turnips, but when it comes down to it purple top turnips, dwarf essex rape and groundhog radishes make a great combo.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep! The guy who created this website is a food plot guru. I learned a lot from Lickcreek (his iowa whitetail and qdm screen name). I swear by his mixes and he has years and years of experience.

Keep in mind, as he mentions in his articles, sometimes deer have to "learn" to eat brassicas, especially turnips. Therefore, make sure to mix some type of rape and radish in with your turnip plantings. There are tons of different varieties of turnips, but when it comes down to it purple top turnips, dwarf essex rape and groundhog radishes make a great combo.

I think that's the recipe I'm going to try out here in a few weeks. I really like the idea of the groundhog radishes naturally "aerating" the soil. Hopefully the local co-op just south of here carries these seeds... if not, I'll have to put in an order with Welter Seed I guess.