Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coon camp

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Was thinking of tryin to have a coon camp this late Sept or early Oct and was wanting to know how many of you had dogs (coon dogs, not shit eaters).

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Was thinking of tryin to have a coon camp this late Sept or early Oct and was wanting to know how many of you had dogs (coon dogs, not shit eaters).

I have one of all 3... One stellar coon dog, One pup who is turning on to be a damn good tree dog, and one shithead with a lead deficiency. lol. Where were you thinking? I like flat places. lol

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Not sure where , been doin some looking at a few of the state owned place with a lot of woodlands. How was the the place where you all had your outting?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Hell, I would have you guys out to our places but it is pretty hard to show the dogs the property lines! Plenty of land (6k acres total) but it is open fields with small woodlots (filled with coons though). The problem is we have no huge tracts of land. It is all broke up. Didn't used to be an issue when I coon hunted but I suspect that has changed because of deer hunting popularity.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hell, I would have you guys out to our places but it is pretty hard to show the dogs the property lines! Plenty of land (6k acres total) but it is open fields with small woodlots (filled with coons though). The problem is we have no huge tracts of land. It is all broke up. Didn't used to be an issue when I coon hunted but I suspect that has changed because of deer hunting popularity.

Beentown

If a dog needs to leave a woodlot and shoot the field to find a coon, i need to find another dog. But yeah. If you're worried about the dogs sneaking onto the neighbors place at 2am. I'm not going lie and say it won't happen.

Personally i don't think the dogs bother the deer in the middle of the night. Most times the deer act like they don't really care. Long as your dog is broke from running deer they just go on by. The deer might get up and walk in a circle, but for the most part they just stay in the area and come right back to where they got up from. If a deer blew out of the woods from a coon dog running by, they would never have a place to call home.. Yotes hound them all the time. And the yote is actually after them, unlike a coondog that just runs on by and boos on a tree. I can;t count the times i've listened to deer in the woods after turning a dog in. They walk a 50 yard circle and come back. Sometimes they walk out in the cut field and feed not 40 yards from the truck. They look our way but are really calm.. Different animal at night.

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Thats kind of the way it is on my places. A lot of ground, just not all together. I was kind of hoping to get to run with a few new dogs and kind of switch it up thru the night. Wanting to video a few of them.