Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Smoker and Pine Chips???

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Have any of you guys smoked up with pine chips yet? One of the local ag stores near me has big bags of pine chips on sale for $4.49 right now and I'm wondering if it's worth trying. I'm assuming there'd be more sap in the pine chips than say hickory or apple... would this foul up the inside of the smoker more than usual? The property I hunt in Carroll County is loaded with pines, so that's why I'm considering this.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We'll to answer this you kind of have to understand what property in the smoke we're after. What kills the bacteria that causes odor, and also covers you in a "smokey smell" The three main components are lignin, Guaiacol, and Phenol.. Lignin being the main one which is created from phenolic compounds. Lignin is the cell wall strengthening agent in the wood. Lignin is about 20-40% of the dry weight of the wood. Burning lignin releases Guaiacol and Phenol. Guaiacol and Phenol being the thick smokey pungent smell and sticky substances.. With that being said, Heavier and Stronger woods have more lignin.. Pine being soft and light lacks the amounts... While pine would work, it will just take more of it to get the amount of phenolic compounds.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What a show off! lol

We'll after giving Brock so much shit about it.. Then trying it and realizing it worked beyond a shadow of a doubt.. You know i had to seek out and find why i was so damn wrong.. It would have eaten at me not knowing exactly why i had to eat crow on that one.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We'll to answer this you kind of have to understand what property in the smoke we're after. What kills the bacteria that causes odor, and also covers you in a "smokey smell" The three main components are lignin, Guaiacol, and Phenol.. Lignin being the main one which is created from phenolic compounds. Lignin is the cell wall strengthening agent in the wood. Lignin is about 20-40% of the dry weight of the wood. Burning lignin releases Guaiacol and Phenol. Guaiacol and Phenol being the thick smokey pungent smell and sticky substances.. With that being said, Heavier and Stronger woods have more lignin.. Pine being soft and light lacks the amounts... While pine would work, it will just take more of it to get the amount of phenolic compounds.

A simple "Don't waste your time, dumbass," would have sufficed... lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What the hell are they selling pine chips for anyway? Mulch or hamster bedding? lmao

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I burn a pretty fair amount of pine around here during the course of a year. We have a large amount of them around the houses and after 86 years, there are always some that get choked out, storm damaged or the lake effect snow/ice storms every year.
Generations of deer in my woods for several county blocks smell the pine smoke all their life so, around here, you'd just be another stick in the woods smelling like that. :smiley_deer: