Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun Mic Help

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, it's getting to be that time again, when I break the camera out and jump in the truck in the evenings and head off to film potential prospect bucks for the upcoming season. Last year, as many of you know, I bought a new camera. Two things I want to upgrade this year are the battery and microphone. My current battery only lasts 2hrs on a warm day, and less than half an hour when it's extremely cold. The one I will be picking up is good for 7 hours, and should cover a half days hunt, even in the coldest of conditions. My area of concern is in purchasing a shotgun mic for the camera. The camera I have has a 48v phantom power source, so all I need is a good mic to hook up to it. Right now I am looking at the Rode NTG-1 along with a Deadcat windscreen. To be honest though, I don't know jack about microphones. I know from research that Rode makes top notch equipment, and I know that I need a good windscreen. The NTG-1 is somewhere in the neighborhood of 8" long, and I think that would be about right for my Sony AX2000.

I know this is a long shot here, but I'm hoping someone can help me out in finding a good mic for my camera, and possibly a good price. I have no problem with dropping a couple hundred into a mic if it's going to make a huge difference in audio quality. The supplied mic on the camera does a great job, but it picks up a lot of noise off the camera, from a finger touch to the side of the camera, to the sound of the lens focusing and zooming in and out. Can anybody here help?!

deerjunkie

Canton, Ohio
We have a Sony shotgun mic on our AX2000, I will look tonight and get the numbers off of it for you. It's a solid mic and does an outstanding job. I also have experience with the Rode's, they are very good as well and you can't go wrong with those.