Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shakespear Baitcaster?

I purchased a Shakespear Agility LP, baitcast reel, at a local Walmart. The reel seemed very smooth in operation, while I was spooling line on it. However, after the first of time fishing with it, there were several backlashes. The backlashes weren't due to improper adjustments on the magnetic spool or the cast control. The reel was making some really bad clicking sounds...like the gears were stripped or something was dragging on the spool.

Anyway, I took it back to Walmart, got a full refund and purchased a Pinnacle LP100C. The Pinnacle was a little more money, but it casts very smooth and I've had no issues with it, so far.

Prior to this experience, I've never had any bad experiences with Shakespear reels.
Has anyone else had any issues with Shakespear baitcasting reels?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm glad to hear you got your money back at least. Honestly, I've never heard of a Shakespeare rod or reel that was worth a damn.

Longdraw said:
Shakespeare and Pflueger are the same company,most people don't know that...........I mainly throw quantum and shimano reels
Longdraw,
I didn't know they were the same company. I nearly opted for the Pfluger, instead of the Pinnacle. Eww! The Pinnacle appears to be of good quality, but I've only known them for golf balls. Apparently, they've expanded their market.

I usually handle Shimano only, but most of the Walmart stores don't carry them. If this one goes "belly up", I'll be seeking out a Shimano reel. :smiley_bril:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I never realy use baitcasters

I am a spinning reel guy

In spinning reels , Pflueger President reels are hard to beat for quality
As I abuse them Walleye fishing and they never have failed

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shakespeare and Pflueger are the same company,most people don't know that...........I mainly throw quantum and shimano reels

Shimano all the way.... I own 7 of them (Curados) and they have never let me down and I'm hard on the reels, fish 8 hours tourney's and never any problems.... The upper end Pfluegers are good buys as well, I know guy's who have tehm and love them.... Shakespere on the other hand well really haven't heard anything good about them.....

I own 5 shakespear tidewater tw30' s and wont use any other reel for catfishing. Now their smaller reels are not as good as the bigger teals but i've never had a problem with the smaller reels maybe it was just a bad egg in the nest