Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever find your dog impaled?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a new one for me. Went to check on Hank our GSP today. Took him his food and he was not his normal excited self. Looked like there was a stick hanging from him. At first I thought maybe I was seeing things or maybe it was just stuck to him somehow. Nope. Just as it looked, my dog had impaled himself with a stick. Best I can guess is he was throwing the stick up in the air and pouncing on it. Probably fell out of the tree over his kennel. He must have landed on it just right. This is a new one for me. I am still scratching my head.

Called the vet. I know Jackalope Joe would have had some Mississippi home remedy for dogs, but I still proceeded to take him to the vet. Fortunately, it missed all the vitals. Hard to explain, but basically just went through his flank. In the picture with the vet, if you look at where his hand is, this is how far he impaled himself. The vets hand was feeling where it stopped.

He just looked at me and laughed. Said, I should have known it was you or your buddy with the Catahoula. lol Hank never wimpered or whined. Let me check him out, let the vet check him out. Climbed in the truck with his front paws by himself while I gently helped him the rest of the way. Tough dog, but apparently had a major bone headed moment today to have a self inflicted impalement injury. What am I going to do with this dog? Geesh. They are about like kids most of the time. Just scratch your head and wonder. lol

Pick him up in the morning. Wonder how much this one is going to cost me?

Attachments

• IMG00816-20110608-1247 Hank impaled.jpg
    IMG00816-20110608-1247 Hank impaled.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG00815-20110608-1246 Doc checking out Hank.jpg
    IMG00815-20110608-1246 Doc checking out Hank.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG00813-20110608-1235 How I found Hank impaled.jpg
    IMG00813-20110608-1235 How I found Hank impaled.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 208

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Man that sucks bud... Looks pretty deep. You'll have to get the stick and show us how deep it went. I've dealt with it a couple times with coondogs. That might have taken a whole tube of neosporin. A bunch of superglue. And more cow penicillin that i originally said. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't forget the alcohol. Might need some for me and the dog. I bet it was at least 3-4" deep. He took it like a champ though. Never once got grumpy with the vet. He really does have a pretty darn good disposition.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Don't forget the alcohol. Might need some for me and the dog. I bet it was at least 3-4" deep. He took it like a champ though. Never once got grumpy with the vet. He really does have a pretty darn good disposition.

Yeah. That's a little deep for alcohol lol... He would have got snappy then i bet ya....

Another tip... use electrical tape on their mouth and front feet, then a buddy only needs to hold them by their feet and throat. Usually you can doctor em up and they don;t struggle much. ;)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
WOW

Glad it all worked out alright for you both. Looks like if it had been a little more midline he could have been in some serious trouble. Keep us updated on his recovery buddy.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
WOW

Glad it all worked out alright for you both. Looks like if it had been a little more midline he could have been in some serious trouble. Keep us updated on his recovery buddy.

Yeah.. Gives new meaning to twig and berries.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Holy Shit! I know there are many reports of deer doing that and all but its different with a loved family pet!
Glad he has a good temperament. Based on what the vet and you have said, I'm sure he'll be fine. DAng!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Wow! Never heard of that happening....I hope he makes it out Ok . Dogs are tough animals. Good luck on the vet bill.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
That's a new one on me...geez, never heard of that before.

Too bad that didn't happen to a cat, or some low-life scumbag, instead of a cool dog.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I stitched Remi up and used Super Glue when he got caught in the barbed wire. We taped him up like Joe said and had someone on his legs and head. I stitched two holes up with 10 lbs braided fishing line and a needle we got from the hospital. Then had my uncle give him some horse penicillin when I was done because some of the places were infected. I'm all for home remedies, but I would have taken him in for that too! That's crazy!!!

I've heard of dogs getting impaled while hunting, but that's a new one!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. New one on me. Never would have guessed a dog could get into so much trouble in a 10x30 kennel. lol

Doc said 1" closer to his midline and he would have been in some trouble. I thought about yanking it out, but I was afraid he might spring a leak. lol