Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Give me your pennies.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I knew the economy and tax revenues were down so cops are writing more tickets for anything they can... But this is just too much.

VERNAL — A Vernal man has been charged with disorderly conduct after police say he caused alarm when he paid for a disputed medical bill in pennies.
On May 27, Jason West went to Basin Clinic prepared to dispute an outstanding bill, according to Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell. West, 38, apparently did not believe he owed the clinic the $25 it said he did.
“After asking if they accepted cash, West dumped 2,500 pennies onto the counter and demanded that they count it,” Campbell said. “The pennies were strewn about the counter and the floor.”
The incident upset clinic staff, said Campbell, adding that West's behavior served "no legitimate purpose."
Clinic staff told West they were calling police and he left the office. Officers caught up with West later and issued him a citation for disorderly conduct, an infraction, which carries a potential fine of $140.
The case will be heard in Vernal City Justice Court.
I would pay it with 14,000 pennies. :pickle:

I have considered doing something similar when my wife got a 50 dollar parking ticket. The police station only took Check or Charge... WTF... Right on our damn money even says " ""This note is legal tender for all debts public and private""" Now how is it a government office can not accept it?

I was trying to come up with a way I could send them 1,000 checks made out for for 5 cents each. I didn;t care what the checks cost, i just didn't want to write them. If i could have printed them i would have.