Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Long dry spell for deer sightings

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know there are times when you just don't see them. Lately though, I have just not seen any bucks from road scouting. Even eluding most of the cameras. Of course, the one was stolen, another was pulled to put in another woods known for does/fawns, but man what a drought. I changed cards on the one camera left on the one new farm I am hunting this year to find only two bucks. One was a nice one, but c'mon. Only two?

Anybody else having a drought for sightings lately? Heck, I haven't even seen a bunch of does lately. Here and there on occasion, but not with regularity. They all filling up on corn? Just curious.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know there are times when you just don't see them. Lately though, I have just not seen any bucks from road scouting. Even eluding most of the cameras. Of course, the one was stolen, another was pulled to put in another woods known for does/fawns, but man what a drought. I changed cards on the one camera left on the one new farm I am hunting this year to find only two bucks. One was a nice one, but c'mon. Only two?

Anybody else having a drought for sightings lately? Heck, I haven't even seen a bunch of does lately. Here and there on occasion, but not with regularity. They all filling up on corn? Just curious.

They're in the corn. BTW I saw a combine running today :) Then it Rained :(

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They're in the corn. BTW I saw a combine running today :) Then it Rained :(

X2 with in the corn :D. I haven't seen a deer in a bean field for weeks. I found on the one property where they had been popping out of the edge of the corn field and that's where all my pics have been coming from. I have been running both cams on this field edge and have them spaced just 75 yards apart. The funny thing is that if I get a deer on one cam I don't get it on the other cam the same day. Kind of funny how just 75 yards can make that big a difference of what you see but it did and it floored me to see it first hand lol.

Oh and Jack. I seen one corn stubble field and a bunch of beans picked already up here. The one farm harvested 300 acres of beans on Sunday alone. Won't be long fellas that's for sure :D.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Same thing here....

Very typical for this time of year. The bucks lose their velvet and they are completely different animals. I would say it's directly related to the velvet coming off, because I have still been seeing a few does and fawns.

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
This is only the second full year I have ran the BEC and I have also been VERY dissapointed with what I am seeing. A few does and 3 bucks, all small. I had a couple decent ones show up in July but have not seen them since. I am going to try and get some apples out this weekend and see if that pulls any of the big ones in front of the camera.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Same thing here....

Very typical for this time of year. The bucks lose their velvet and they are completely different animals. I would say it's directly related to the velvet coming off, because I have still been seeing a few does and fawns.

Exactly. Nothing to worry about Phil. You might remember I post a "theory" on OS a while back that bucks actually go through a "depression" of sorts this time of year. I believe the sudden increase in testosterone that causes the velvet to shed and the bachelor groups to break up, causes the bucks to go into a funk until the weather cools and they start to go on the prowl. No real science behind, just a theory. But you see this every year around this time...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My road scenes have been nice lately. Around me they are packin in the beans/tops before they dry out. That and the cooler evenings have had them out in full force.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My corn suspicions are confirmed. Good news is the corn is turning brown pretty quickly. I am hoping it is off by the end of October. Could be a possibility. Thanks guys.