Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your favorite gun in your collection?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Ok, so Sunday I take 3 guns to the range, my muzzy, my 30-30, and my Ruger 10/22.
Needed to sight in the muzzy and 30-30.
Took the 10/22 just to have it.
After shooting all three, I realized that the 10/22 is my favorite gun in my whole collection. I am most fond of it. It's not the most expensive, most valuable, prettiest, or anything else...it's just my favorite to use.

Of all your guns - which one is your favorite?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I would say my 870 express 20ga or my Ruger 10/22. Just because I've had them both since I was 10 or 11 years old and have killed all sorts of shit with them both. I would like to know the number of rounds that I've put through my 10/22. Wore out the clip so now the bullets just fall down in, gotta get me a new one ordered.

My .17hmr is slowly creeping up there though. It is my "go to gun" for when I take a country cruise and think I may run across some varmints.

Great idea for a thread Dan!

Buckmaster

Portage
For Function: TC Encore. The .204 works great on ground hogs and the .50 muzzy barrel kills deer out to 200 yards.
For History: 1934 Winchester Model 12. If only the gun could talk and tell its stories.
For Fun: .22 Colt Target Pistol. Reasonable to shoot.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Sorry Dan. I could not pick just 1.

My "family guns" from Dad and Gramp are priceless to me because of the "family" history.
A couple from a friend now passed away, equally priceless.
I've even found a few on my own...
No. I may use some more than others or gravitate to a certain gun at certain times of the year but I love em all...
( which reminds me. I'm screwed if I ever need a "throw-down" lol-I kid)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Too many guns too chose from.... for history/family its my grandads winchester model 12 in 16 GA. For functionality my Marlin. 22 mag. For reach out and touch the critters my ruger 77 in. 243..... but for day to day rabbit hunting my noble or the mosberg O/U .410's so yeah I can't name just one lol....

lung buster

hocking county
Out of my collection I would have to probably say my 1187. It is the one that has made the most animals dead in recent years. The 870 is a close second but it is just about time to pass it down to my boy.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Unfair question, kinda like making me pick one of the kids as a favorite.

Not counting family guns I have 2 that seem to get the most use. My Encore, in 5 years it's taken(if I've counted correctly) 13 deer, 4 turkeys, a coyote and a few misc. critters. The other is my little 20 gauge W.J. Jeffery double, it's my go to gun for birds and clay targets.

I hope my other guns don't develop self esteem issues now that I've made public my feelings about the Encore and Jeffery :smiley_ahh:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Unfair question, kinda like making me pick one of the kids as a favorite.

Not counting family guns I have 2 that seem to get the most use. My Encore, in 5 years it's taken(if I've counted correctly) 13 deer, 4 turkeys, a coyote and a few misc. critters. The other is my little 20 gauge W.J. Jeffery double, it's my go to gun for birds and clay targets.

I hope my other guns don't develop self esteem issues now that I've made public my feelings about the Encore and Jeffery :smiley_ahh:

Sounds to me like you picked a couple of your kids as favorits... :smiley_blackeye:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a couple that are just pretty guns. I could admire them and polish on them, never shoot them, and they would still be at the top of my list. One is my Franchi O/U and the other is my Remington 243 pump. The 243 is a shooter too. Haven't found the right opportunity to use the O/U yet. I am sure I will jizz myself the day I do.

My 870 has sentimental value since i killed my first deer with it and it was a dandy of a buck.

Probably the most fun I have is when I take out the 17HMR. I love chasing groundhogs with this in my hands. It feels great, shoots great, and looks great!

I thought I had a picture of the Savage 17HMR with thumbhole stock, but I guess I don't. Here is a picture of the Remington in 243.

Attachments

• Remington 2430001.jpg
    Remington 2430001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Remington Bear engraving0001.jpg
    Remington Bear engraving0001.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 242

Huckleberry Finn

That's a purty gun Phil but I wouldn't shoot a bear with it!

Good to see a good gun thread going again.

I'd probably have to go with the 870. I've killed a deer and a coupla turkeys with it, shot a ton of skeet with it, etc. Nothing it can't do. The first year I had it the stock and forearm crapped out and bubbled. I refinished it with dad but apparently whatever we used wasn't the best. It looks worn and a little beat up in the wood, but I love the character in it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My first gun was a hand me down 1940's bolt-action Mossberg .22 that belonged to my great-grandfather. It's an absolute tack driver and has always been my favorite gun. I love my Benelli, but it doesn't hold that special place in my heart that the .22 does...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
High Standard Model HD pistol. It was my Grandfathers for starters. It can just flat out shoot. It is one of those pistols for me, pun intended, that is point and shoot. They are just not made like this anymore either. Hell, I just love that gun and the man that owned it previously.

Beentown