Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you have to share your bow properties with others?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
DJK got me thinking about this topic in his post on Jesse's bow thread about having to share a property with others. If you have to hunt a property with other people, what are your strategies for either keeping people out of your stands or hiding your stand locations, etc? If you have any funny/horror stories you can share them.

On one property I hunt, I have a guy who tries to follow a buddy and me around to see where we sit. I have resorted to using a climber exclusively years ago after finding his stand 20 yards from where he saw us last more than once.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Packable climbing sticks... The stand is 22 feet in a tree with no sticks.

Some of my stands utilize regular 16 foot stackable sticks, but i'll pack in 2 muddy climbing sticks for the top. Placing the bottom of the stand about 25 feet high. or 8 feet from the top of the last step.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I hunt just a stones throw from DJK. I have the same deal. I honestly have a ton of property to hunt so I can pick between about 11 diferent setups on any given day to hunt. But I have had words with people that I found hunting my stuff. I actually told a guy that he could hunt my setups after I got my buck and I think he did a few of them. Most guys around here tend to hunt strictly field edges so they can see alot of deer. Usually they'll eventually get one and be done early. I tend to take the longer walks to setups off the beaten path to avoid guys. I also like the fact that deer will pattern these types of guys and I use that to my advantage when picking a spot

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Here are the three setups that I hunt from to prevent anyone from taking advantage of my stand...

1. Lone wolf sticks/stand - pack em in and out when hunting, leaves nothing in the woods.

2. Hang-on stand with sticks - spots that I know produce lots of deer travel year after year I will put a hangon and nothing else. I will pack my sticks in everytime and climb to the stand.

3. Similar spots as number 2, I may use a hang on and tree steps... when I'm done at night I will take out the bottom four steps and stick little twigs in the holes so they are easily located in the dark of the morning. This also saves on the number of steps I have to buy as I always have 4 in my pack... so if I have 4 setups that is 12 steps I didn't have to buy.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't hunt any place where I'm hunting with people I don't know or like. Greg is the only non-family member I bow hunt with when I'm hunting property that isn't family owned. I have friends in to hunt with me at our farm all the time, so I'm setting them wherever I think they'll see deer. But that don't mean I don't have a good story! LOL!!!

About 15 years ago, there was a rumored state/world record running around my neck of the woods. (I think Ric can attest to this.) The deer was videoed about 3/4 a mile from my house by a school bus driver. I saw the video and know the deer was unreal, but I had no idea how to score a deer back then, so making a guess is futile. All I know is that it was huge and the talk of the town. At the time, my cousin had permission to hunt the farm surrounding the golf course down here, along with a few other guys. The deer was running that area and the competition got heated between a couple of the guys. They were pulling each others stands down and shitting on them, pissing on cameras, even dumping dead animals around there stands. The two guys ended up in a fist fight in the middle of the woods one day during the rut while trying to kill this deer because the one dude caught the other dude shitting in his stand! LOL!

No body ever saw that deer again that I know of. No sheds, no bones, no nothing....

Buckmaster

Portage
I leave my stands up year round and they all have my name on them. I've only had one issue recently in which I found my stand at the bottom of the tree. Someone wasn't happy with my presence. I consider my stands; my tree; my area.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think Ric can attest to this! I remember that! There was some attempted shed poaching TOO. A hunter with the intials KS was obsessed with that deer as well. I often wonder if anyone got that deer or at least found him or his sheds. This guy(KS) had killed a few world class deer and also bought some WC racks back in those days, one being from Minnesota.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Yeah.. I have to share my hunting property....

...With this guy..

I shit you not....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Yeah.. I have to share my hunting property....

...With this guy..

I shit you not....

Dude is a haus right there. Looks like he is one not to mess with since he carries a big old walkin stick lol.

I have to share my hunting properties with other bow hunters. for the most part it is only Dante and on a few occasions I had Huck come up and hunt but a few others sneak in there from time to time. Gun season is when it gets horrid around here. I got sick of people sitting in my stands so I pulled one down and pulled the stackable ladder stick from the other leaving the hang on stand 20' with noway to get into it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dude is a haus right there. Looks like he is one not to mess with since he carries a big old walkin stick lol.

I have to share my hunting properties with other bow hunters. for the most part it is only Dante and on a few occasions I had Huck come up and hunt but a few others sneak in there from time to time. Gun season is when it gets horrid around here. I got sick of people sitting in my stands so I pulled one down and pulled the stackable ladder stick from the other leaving the hang on stand 20' with noway to get into it.

Stick???? Shit.. That's a big fuggin spear he has... You can't really see it, but there's a 18 inch bowie knife secured to the top of that stick.. And another one on his right hip.... I took this the day i met him after the landowner asked me to have him "show me around".... He rolled up in a big ass expedition. Parked and hopped out... I mean it... H O P P E D.. out... His feet hit the ground and he didn;t even come up to the side mirror... I said to myself "Must be this tall to drive" And tried my hardest not to fall off my tailgate laughing. BTW.. He's standing slight uphill of me in this pic. He shoots a Mathews. about 45 pounds and a 22.5 inch draw.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Damn Jack, thats a hell of a rare species you got there......I would say even more rare than a boone and crockett buck! Hahahhahahhaha!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You'll shit another brick when i tell you what he does for a living..

Nuisance Trapper! :smiley_crocodile: