Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hicks I couldn't do it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Finished mowing my land then the wife said I should drive down the road and mow the old mans on the corner. Its a long story but his mower is broke and he is older.

But the point was I don't see how you used to be on a mower all day! Mowed approx 6acres of rough ground and man am I feeling it. Maybe my mowing muscles aren't toned yet?

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to do it day in and day out for probably 8-10yrs. The last 4-6yrs I have not mowed much. Maybe put 100hrs a year on a mower at the most. Life happens, the business grows, and I have just not been the guy on the mower. It is crazy too because now when I do mow my allergies are nuts! I have always had them, but it seems they have gotten worse over the years. So I guess I couldn't do it every day either anymore. I would if i had to, but I would be miserable.

What kind of seat do you have? What PSI in your tires? Common for people to over inflate them. Where the heck did you find 6 bumpy acres? We are still mowing in pretty soft/mushy ground. lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I used to do it day in and day out for probably 8-10yrs. The last 4-6yrs I have not mowed much. Maybe put 100hrs a year on a mower at the most. Life happens, the business grows, and I have just not been the guy on the mower. It is crazy too because now when I do mow my allergies are nuts! I have always had them, but it seems they have gotten worse over the years. So I guess I couldn't do it every day either anymore. I would if i had to, but I would be miserable.

What kind of seat do you have? What PSI in your tires? Common for people to over inflate them. Where the heck did you find 6 bumpy acres? We are still mowing in pretty soft/mushy ground. lol

Tree roots everywhere from trees that were cut down in the past. While I got you on the....um...interwebz. My trimmer took a dump on me. How do you feel about Echo? Any other recommendations under $300?

Beentown

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
If I had to guess, my dad and I mowed/ weed trimmed 15 total acres today. Mowings not my problem.

I got tan lines like a candy cane these past 3 days.

Been, look around for Sthil equipment, they have commercial grade weed trimmers that'll last forever. I think we buy ours for around 300 a piece.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah I have been through 3 in 5 years. I figured it was time to spend on quality. I have an old Echo chainsaw that I can't kill so they were in the running.

Beentown

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Yeah I have been through 3 in 5 years. I figured it was time to spend on quality. I have an old Echo chainsaw that I can't kill so they were in the running.

Beentown

I bought an echo off my dad when I bought my own place a few years ago, I know he's had it for 10+ years, still runs like a top! Stihl is also a quality brand for sure.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never owned an Echo. I have run Redmax for years with good success. Seems like in the last 5yrs I have had a lot of carb issues. Bought a Stihl which is the four-mix version last year. I was hesitant, but I do like it. In the past, I did not have good luck with the Stihl trimmers. Love their backpack blowers, chainsaws, and hedge trimmers though. Like I said, I have been pleased with it so far. I have heard good things about Echo but don't have any first hand experience with them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I talked to a Stihl dealer last year when upgrading my blower and he said it's very important to not use gas older than 60 days these days. He says it is the main reason for many starting probs down the road due TOO lines gumming up and such. I know most of you already know that but thought I'd just throw it out there.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have had a Troy Built 4 cycle trimmer for a couple years now. The first start of the year it may take 5 pulls. After that it's only 1-2 pulls and she's going.

A 2 cycle has more horsepower for size and weight. But the 4 has more torque. What this means is the 2 cycle will recover quicker from being bogged down. But the 4 cycle will be able to power through and not get bogged down as quickly. So with maybe a pound heavier engine you can get the same horsepower as a smaller 2 cycle, but more torque. Plus you don't need to mix gas and 2 cycle oil.. Ease of start, no mixing, more torque. It would be hard to get me to go back to a 2 cycle trimmer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Stihl all the way baby! My FS 90 is a 2-cycle and it fired up after the second pull this spring. Since I have to have mix for my MS 170 saw, I didn't consider the 4-stroke models. I make 2.5 gallons at a time and it'll last me most of the spring/summer.

I'll be buying a blower next. It would make a handy food plot tool in addition to helping with yard maintenance...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Stihl all the way baby! My FS 90 is a 2-cycle and it fired up after the second pull this spring. Since I have to have mix for my MS 170 saw, I didn't consider the 4-stroke models. I make 2.5 gallons at a time and it'll last me most of the spring/summer.

I'll be buying a blower next. It would make a handy food plot tool in addition to helping with yard maintenance...

Jesse just made a liar out of me, mine is an FS90 Stihl, not an Echo. My mother-in-law's is an echo (which still is pretty old and runs great). Both run very well for me as I use them both weekly.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Actually picked up a Stihl FS85 for $300 today.

Watched a show and they said the issue is our 10% Ethanol. It goes bad quickly. They are now offering an additive that is good for 5 gallons at a $1.98

No thank you. I will just spray the carb out.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Jesse, Jesse, Jesse. . . I will learn you lad. The new Stihl 4 cycle trimmers use the 2 cycle gas. They call them their "four mix" or something along these lines. As you know how trimmers are turned at all different angles it would be difficult to keep the engines lubricated if they had a reservoir or oil to change like your lawn mower. You use two cycle mixed gas and this enables the engine's valves and such to stay lubricated no matter how you hold it. So you could still own a 4 cycle one and use your chainsaw gas in it too! I will set you straight bud!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jesse, Jesse, Jesse. . . I will learn you lad. The new Stihl 4 cycle trimmers use the 2 cycle gas. They call them their "four mix" or something along these lines. As you know how trimmers are turned at all different angles it would be difficult to keep the engines lubricated if they had a reservoir or oil to change like your lawn mower. You use two cycle mixed gas and this enables the engine's valves and such to stay lubricated no matter how you hold it. So you could still own a 4 cycle one and use your chainsaw gas in it too! I will set you straight bud!

Yeah those 4 cycles kind of break out of our old terminology. Once upon a time we always assumed 4 cycle means oil and gas separate, and 2 cycle meant mix... But there are 4 cycles that burn mixed gas, And some that don't.

My Troy Bilt isn't a mixed gas burner. I's a true 4 cycle. 31cc engine with a 17 inch cut. I can turn her sideways, upside down, and everything and it doesn't miss a beat. Has plenty of 4 cycle torque and has attachments., brush cutter, blower, cultivator, pole saw, hedge trimmer etc.