Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any tips for 1st timer?

HomeBrewer

Coshocton
I just got into hunting last year and can't believe what I have been missing. I love the outdoors and fishing but never tried hunting. I have bought some gear, read a lot, watched a ton of videos and practiced with the calls. Do you guys have any tips for a 1st time turkey hunter?

HomeBrewer

Coshocton
Guess I shoulda looked around a little before asking this. Sorry for repeating a question that has already been answered. This forum is awesome!

Huckleberry Finn

Nah that's fine man, welcome to the site!

Full camo, sit tight, throw some decoys out, do a little callin and see what happens!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
At first i would say the biggest thing is patience. I can't tell you how many hunts i have blown getting antsy wanting to get up and move on a bird. Only to find out the bird was either closer than i thought. Or was in a good place to see me. If you don't know where he is going, and don't have the time to circle real wide to beat him there. Sit tight and piss off that hen he's with. Mimic her, and when she calls back cut her off with a couple cuts and roll into a yelp. You'll know real quick if your getting under her skin or not. If she cuts you off, finish your yelp. Cut and yelp again. Just all around piss her off. It's the proverbial shit talking.. If she shuts up. She's coming to kick your butt and you'll likely hear her coming. And hopefully that tom is in tow. Practice calling so that you know what sound means what to a tom.. Good luck out there... Any morning you have a tom gobbling. Is a good morning. Trust me. You'll have plenty where they're tight lipped.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I just got into hunting last year and can't believe what I have been missing. I love the outdoors and fishing but never tried hunting. I have bought some gear, read a lot, watched a ton of videos and practiced with the calls. Do you guys have any tips for a 1st time turkey hunter?

First off, welcome to the site HomeBrewer.

Secondly, I'd say keep doing what you're doing (reading, practicing with call, and watching videos to some extent), but get out there and hunt. You'll learn more from experience than anything else. Another thing, keep asking questions. There's a ton of guys on here with turkey hunting experience that will help shorten the learning curve for ya.

HomeBrewer

Coshocton
Thanks for the info fellas. I can't wait to get out there and give it a shot! I got my tag today and vacation at the end of next week. I'm pumped!! Good luck to you all!