Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kind of pissed off at a buddy.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Rant mode ON
So I have this friend that I take turkey hunting some. It started a few years ago after his wife died and I felt sorry for him. It's turned in to a tradition where he pretty much assumes I'll take him the first day. We always go to the same spot, a place where 3 landowners own a pretty large chunk of ground. One of the landowners is my sister.

He told me today he got permission on his own from the one landowner to hunt. He used my name to talk the landowner in to signing. This is my best spot, which makes it worse. The plus side is he isn't that good of a turkey hunter, so maybe it ain't a real problem. I just feel he has taken advantage of our friendship.

BTW he tried this with my sister last year and was told he could only hunt on her place with me.

Rant mode OFF

OK I feel slightly better.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have had people do that over the years and screwed up. Since I was now associated with them I was kicked off when they fugged up. I even told the landowner that I didn't do anything and hadn't even stepped foot on the property at all yet that year. The landowner didn't care to hear it and the woods was closed off from me. Still can't get back in there and that was 12 years ago.

I hate when old friends screw you over like that.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Damn Sam that's screwed up..... don't have to worry about me pulling that shit.... they already shot me down.... just sayin dang.... :)..... seriously, a true friend wouldn't do that..... doesn't say much about him......

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Yeah, that's just an unwritten rule. Unless an open door to the land owner is offered, when a buddy takes you hunting on a property they have permission on, the last thing in the world you do is turn around and try and get permission there. It's just something that you don't do.

Hope everything works out alright Sam.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sam.. Sounds like your "Buddy" just earned himself a last name... "Buddy Fucker".. No call in even knowing people like that.. If it were I him and me would have a come to Jesus talk before the sun rose tomorrow.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
He should have spoke to you first if he was going for property you had or exposed him to.
He did wrong. You have every right to feel taken advantage of.
Assuming he understands proper, decent protocol or educate.
Sorry.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As the other guys said, that's just a blatant man law violation. Sorry to hear about it, man. That's always the risk you take when you take a buddy along to hunt... kind of a shame that it's even a risk at all.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
This really doesn't surprise me because he has a history of trying to position himself better and it backfiring on him. Probably one of the reasons I'm one of his few friends. and that is pretty strained right now.

In the long run he'll screw himself because I have lots of places I can get permission to hunt and I'll never take him to another.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
This really doesn't surprise me because he has a history of trying to position himself better and it backfiring on him. Probably one of the reasons I'm one of his few friends. and that is pretty strained right now.

In the long run he'll screw himself because I have lots of places I can get permission to hunt and I'll never take him to another.

That was going to be my next question. No way in hell would I take him to a new spot when he fuggs this one up. Not cool by any means. Hopefully ya can patch the friendship tho then let him know that it wasn't cool at some point.

Is it possible he just doesn't understand the unwritten laws of hunting? It's just like golf, it's amazing how many people don't respect or know enough about the sport and shouldn't even be out there.