Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spot & Stalk with the kids

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I was cutting the grass in the back yard last night, with the kids playing outside too, when I noticed two mallards cup up overhead. Being a waterfowl guy, I never get tired of watching ducks & geese do their thing so I stopped pushing the mower and watched these two lock up, then cut right down in the front yard! That was a first.

I don't know if they saw the bird feeder, or the other birds on the ground, but they must have made the association of food being present & decided to check it out. Well, I cut the mower, called the kids over, grabbed the camera, and we decided to try and see who could sneak up on the ducks and pluck a tail feather!! The kids eyes lit up, like are you serious??

So we rounded the opposite side of the house and belly crawled along the driveway to look under my truck & across the yard for the ducks...

Then we game planned to crawl down to the sidewalk, and crawl up the grass behind them....

I told them to go slow, stay low, and who ever plucked a tail feather would get a dollar...

Well, they got close, but not close enough to earn a buck. I got a good laugh out of it, and so did some of the neighbors that were watching the whole thing unfold!!

Huckleberry Finn

I was going to ask you about your camera too. I looked at your blog the other day for the first time, dang I have been missing out!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Thanks Guys! The kids kept checking the front yard tonight for ducks, but they never showed up. :smiley_crocodile: They still want to try and pluck a tail feather. And my daughter says to me, "If dey come back tonight Daddy we gonna just shoot 'em this time." That's my girl...

That is awesome Curran! What camera do you use? Those pictures are crystal clear!

Here's what we've been using now for a little over a year - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_xs_18_55is_kit

I just bought a second lens for it after Christmas - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_s_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_is

I'm still learning how to use all the features on the thing, but it's a lot of fun tinkering around and seeing all the things cameras can do.

Some of the hunting pics, especially waterfowl ones, have been taken my my old Minolta 35mm camera and then scanned into my computer. After I took a digital point & shoot camera swimming a few years ago the Warden (wife) has been pretty strict on what cameras I can take hunting & fishing. :smiley_chinrub:

Last edited:

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Curran.....that is awesome and great pictures too. I have my three year old on squirrel watch and she will try to sneak up behind them. Its funny watching her sneak up on the squirrels,as it turns around and can't figure out why this munkin is running full bore at it!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Those are some awesome pics Sean! I've got a Nikon D60, and I've been wanting to pick up a better zoom lens for wildlife photography, but haven't made that leap yet.