Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts on a .410

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
What are you guys' thoughts on using a .410 gauge for turkey hunting.....my 8 year old son wants to go this year and I have access to a 410.

I figure if I get 3" shells in #4 shot and limit his shooting range to 25-30 yards it will be enough to kill a turkey.

Any information would be appreciated as I don't know much about these guns.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I would say at 20-30 yards with that shot would be no problem, I would take it out in the yard first and pattern it on a pie plate or something before trying at 40. I've never tried to pattern a .410 that far so can't say for sure.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm in the same boat. My son is 7 and well be using a mossberg 510 mini. Its a .410 with a full choke. I picked up some long range 3 inch #6 to try. I was afriad the #4's wouldn't have enough pellets. BTW .410 ammo is expensive...I mean fugg $14-17 a box ...really..

camofry

*Supporting Member*
Do you know someone with a 28g. I am not saying the 410 wont kill him, but I dont think it would be fair to the boy or the bird for a bad shot. Dont try the slug, remember, Ohio law says SHOT only. A 410cal just gives you to small of a window. I wish you was a little closer, I could set him up for the season. I know the first few years for my two kids and some other young ones I helped get started, we used my shoulder. Its a little tricky getting set up, be the rewards are endless. Good luck to you and the little one.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I could probably get him a 20 gauge to use, but it would probably kick the crap out of him. Maybe a 2-3/4" 20 gauge wouldn't be so bad, I think it would be better to use than a 410 as far as the pattern is concerned.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Im with you on the 410 Gern. Im still tossing around the idea of taking my 9 year old daughter this year and trying a ground blind with the decoys set at 10yrds and thinking if they get with-in 5 yards of them and she is close with her shot that its going to be a dead bird. I say go for it, cause its the experience that he is going to get and the time you two get to spend together even if they get close and he does miss. With your experience their is not a doubt in my mind that he will definitely get a chance to pull the trigger.......

Good luck

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Might as well go a little bigger with a 20 gauge from the way it sounds, I know how hard it is to get a bird inside 20 yards, especially when having a first timer behind the gun.

Schu72

Streetsboro
My sons arms aren't long enough. That's the biggest hurdle. The length of pull on the 510 mini is only 10 1/2 inches. I believe the youth model 20s are 12 1/2.

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Good buddy of mine only uses a .410 (killed a million turkeys with a 12 gauge and likes the challenge). I've personally seen him kill them drop dead at 25 yards no prob. If it was my kid, that's probably what I'd do...however, when all that adrenaline is flowing and your about to take the shot, you don't feel it even if you shoot a 12 gauge with 3 1/2" magnums... just some thoughts

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A .410 should be plenty from 0 to 25 yds... the problem is getting one that close, and getting a young kid to hit a softball-sized target that is moving around. Do they make any high-density shells in .410? That would certainly help a lot.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I have friend who killed a bird with a 410 at 25yds.,,,he skinned the head out and there were 19 pellets in the head #6 shot....so if I get a bird with the old 10ga.... I am taking out the 410 this year for a 2nd bird I bought a box of #6 heavy-shot for it

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I will probably be going to fin feather fur this weekend. I might look around their gun library for something in a youth model.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The pellets have roughly the same energy whether fired from a .410 or a 12 ga, just way more of them from a 12. You need to pattern the gun and decide from that what range you feel comfortable with it killing a turkey.

That said I'd probably prefer a 2 3/4" 20 gauge as a minimum.