Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DJK Frank 16's 2011 Fishing Thread

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Alright guys, in the past few years I haven't done near as much fishing as I usually do, so this year I decided I was going to spend as much time as possible on the water.

I figured I would open my own thread and post my results.

4-9-11 - Indian Lake

My brother, my cousin, and I hit Indian Lake this past Saturday for crappie and bluegill. It was slow until about 40 minutes before dark and we got into a few. Ended up with about 20 keepers over the 9inch minimum with my brother having the catch of the day with this 11 incher.

We fished earlier in the day with wax worms on some small jigs and caught a few bluegill and some smaller crappie, but the majority of the keeper crappie were caught on minnows under a bobber.

I missed a lot and had quiet a few get off right at the boat, so seems I'm a little more rusty than that I was going to be.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
It didn't dawn on me until we got home that I should have got some pictures of the action while we were out on the lake, so hopefully some better pictures next time!

If weather permits and I get of work in time, I'm hoping to hit the local reservoir for some panfish and maybe a stray saugeye.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
4-14-11 Trip to the Reservoir

Alright guys, hit the reservoir with my brother and two cousins last night after work. Had high hopes as I know the reservoir we fished last night can produce some night crappie and even a decent walleye or two.

Got out there about 6 and fished til dark, not one single bite on the 8 poles we had in the water!! First time ever in my life I've been skunked while fishing for panfish, not even a nibble on a wax worm! I talked to a few locals out there and they said the water temps are still a little cold for Crappie and bluegill.

I was walking around and seen/talked to about 7 different people and no one had a bite. Beautiful evening though and got to hang out with some cousins that I don't see that often, so it was a fun trip despite the lack of fish.

Was hoping to hit Indian Lake this weekend but the weather is not looking TOO promising, but if the rain/storms hold off a nice cold windy day would be perfect to hit the lake for Saugeye.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Off work half a day, gonna load the truck up and head out to my uncle's farm pond for some fishing. His pond is getting overpopulated with Bluegill, so we may keep a few to clean if we get into them.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Off work half a day, gonna load the truck up and head out to my uncle's farm pond for some fishing. His pond is getting overpopulated with Bluegill, so we may keep a few to clean if we get into them.

Didn't get a chance to post on this trip, it was cold and windy, we ended up catching about a dozen or so keepers but threw them back at the end since there wasn't a whole lot to clean. Did catch a few decent crappie and a bass.

This thread is going to be idle for the next few weeks, as the majority of my free time will be mushroom hunting, but by then the lake waters should be warm enough for the Crappie and Saugeye to turn on.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Alright guys, switching gears from mushroom hunting back to fish mode. Picked up this nice little fishing boat for 500 bucks. 14ft aluminum w/ trailer. Came with a 4hp mercury and a 36lb thrust minn kota trolling motor. I thought it was a pretty decent buy and it will definitely get me where I need to go on the reservoirs and indian lake channels.

Sent via Droid2 with Tapatalk

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Thanks! The trolling motor wasn't originally part of the deal, but the guy said "well you may have to change the gas and put a new plug in it, so I will throw in a trolling motor", I was pretty happy to say the least! Looking forward to the Fall crappie bite down at Indian Lake this year!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Well the Fall Crappie and Saugeye bite is underway at Indian Lake. My dad, brother, and I were able to get out on the lake 4 or 5 times this past weekend. Ended up with around 70 keepers of Crappie/Bluegill/Perch, as well as a couple Saugeye.

I caught this Saugeye that was just shy of 2LBs on a 12 foot crappie jig pole with 4lb test line, needless to say it was a fight! I was amazed at how thick and healthy they look. Caught him on a minnow fishing for Crappie!

Got to fry up some fish for the family and drink a few cold ones around the fire afterwards, had a great weekend!

The other pics I took were in the shed we cleaned them in and didn't turn out as well, I will take along the digital camera next trip!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Been splittin up time between fishing and hunting the last few weeks, so I figured I would post up some of my fishing pics!

Decent Perch
10-8-11_Perch.jpg

Awesome sunrise on an all day fishing trip a buddy of mine and I took.
11-6-11_Sunrise.jpg

Saugeye below is 27inches and right at 7lbs!! My dad caught this a few days ago. The Crappie below it is right at 13 inches and just under a pound.
11-15-11_Crappie&Saugeye.jpg

A couple 12 inch Crappie from the all day fish with my buddy.
11-6-11_Crappie.jpg