Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate...............

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
BRAKE DUST! Can someone PLEASE invent a brake dust cleaner that ACTUALLY works!!! I must spend 4 hours every month getting that shit off my wheels! My fingers feel as though I did a 1000 fingertip push ups when I'm done! These spray bottles of shit they sell at auto part stores ain't worth 2 dead flies! Yeah, just spray on and let set then hose off..........and the you might have to rub off the more stubborn places! Give me a BRAKE! no pun intended! LOL I find chrome polish or Simplegreen work OK but does anyone else know anything better?:smiley_baby::smiley_confused_vra

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hey FS =
Git yerself summa dem spinnin' wheels....they just spin the brake dust right off! :smiley_clap::smiley_crocodile:

(sorry I got nothin positive to contribute...I ain't never owned a vehicle without cheapass hubcaps)

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think I used every kind of wheel cleaner/ brake dust cleaner and none of them work at all. Best thing is dawn dish soap and water and some elbow grease. Thats one reason why I dislike chrome so much, its such a pain to keep clean and to keep nice. You have to be polishing them every day. The chrome wheels I had on my fitty looked sweetfor one summer, after that it was pitting in corners, etc. Too much work...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to fight brake dust all the time, too... then I put some good quality ceramic pads on my truck and haven't had to clean brake dust ever since.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd like TOO know who came up with the name, "brakeDUST". Most dust you can simply blow away or write your name in with your finger! This shit I know starts out as dust but petrifies into something a chisel couldn't scribe into! DANG! Jim, I've got a good quality ceramic set of pads and they still dust up. The next wheels I go TOO won't be chrome!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
if they are true chrome wheels and not chrome plated you can use an SOS pad and get it all off without scratching your wheels. if they are the new soft chrome plated wheels you will scratch the crap out of them.

Thw worst is when it starts in the corners of likea 5 spoke...its hard to get it all off and not to start the corrosion

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
brush.jpg

2.jpg

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Get some EZ Bright Chrome polish. Get your wheels scrubbed and put this stuff on it and makes it a lot easier to clean them the next time. We used it on the diamond plate and other chrome parts on the firetrucks all the time.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't use ceramic brake pads, but for a different reason. I have been told they do not dissipate the heat as well. Last thing I need when slowing down a trailer with 10000 pounds or more on it is a brake pad glowing or breaking off. For a daily driver I am sure they would be fine. Do you guys find them to squeal more?

Ric- Not sure about an SOS pad, but on some of the vintage motorcycles I have owned over the years I have used "0000" steel wool. You can get it at Walmart reasonable and I generally follow it up with Never Dull. However, this might not be a viable option (Neverdull) on a daily driver. I have used the "0000" steel wool on the stainless steel fenders on my 74 Norton without scratching them. Might not be course enough for your rims, but I would rather start with "0000" and move up than start with SOS and realize I scratched them beyond repair.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I don't use ceramic brake pads, but for a different reason. I have been told they do not dissipate the heat as well. Last thing I need when slowing down a trailer with 10000 pounds or more on it is a brake pad glowing or breaking off. For a daily driver I am sure they would be fine. Do you guys find them to squeal more?

Ric- Not sure about an SOS pad, but on some of the vintage motorcycles I have owned over the years I have used "0000" steel wool. You can get it at Walmart reasonable and I generally follow it up with Never Dull. However, this might not be a viable option (Neverdull) on a daily driver. I have used the "0000" steel wool on the stainless steel fenders on my 74 Norton without scratching them. Might not be course enough for your rims, but I would rather start with "0000" and move up than start with SOS and realize I scratched them beyond repair.

I used the same steel wool on all the chrome on my Harley when I had it. Every winter I would disassemble the bike so that all the chrome was off and go over it with steel wool then polish it with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Then reassemble with rubber gloves on. Time consuming but man did that thing look sweet come spring time.

I would try Totally Awesome from Wal -Mart or Dollar General. That stuff will take the wax off of a linoleum floor.