Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crappie Fishing - Tips,Tactics, Etc.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
So....

What is everyone's favorite/most successful method for catching Crappie?

I've always been a live bait (minnow) fan myself, but I know guys that catch a ton of them on small jigs and even cast rooster tails.

Figured this would be fun to get everyone's ideas or any tips to throw in along the way.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I've caught them on jigs, minnows, and rooster tails. I enjoy catching them on minnows under a robber cause once you find he depth of water they are it, it is easy to stay on them. If they are real deep, we always set anchor right over top of them and jig for them.

Biggest one I ever caught was 16 1/2" at Wolf Run tolling for trout with a rooster tail.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Man that's a giant crappie Fluteman, I fish Indian Lake the majority of the time when I'm after crappies, I think 13 something has been my biggest.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I don't get into crappie fishing like I did when I fished a bunch with dad. I wish I could find the pic of that crappie, it's from way back in the day.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I usually use a 1/32 ounce jig tipped with a minnow under a bobber. I have also trolled twister tails behind a boat for them too. Lot's of fun!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I usually use a 1/32 ounce jig tipped with a minnow under a bobber. I have also trolled twister tails behind a boat for them too. Lot's of fun!

I like to use these tactics as well. If I'm in water that has some depth, I like to rig up a slip bobber with a minnow underneath on a red hook. Even though it's not quite as productive as live bait, my favorite way to catch them is on a 1/32 oz jig and twistertail fished with an ultralight rod on 2 or 4 lb test mono. I don't care what it is... if you catch it on an ultralight, it's just plain fun!

Diablo54

Outside
We like to find a stump or tree and use minnows with bobbers. And jig off of the side of the boat at the same time. Once you find the right spot you can slay em.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Weather permitting me and my dad as well as a couple cousins are gonna try for some crappie on Indian Lake tomorrow. Rumor is they are hitting a lot better on the South end of the lake, he docks on the North end so were hoping to get into some on that side. I will be fishing mostly with a minnow under a bobber and if the boat is not full of people I may take one of my baitcasters and throw a silver vibee for saugeye.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Hittin Indian Lake about 3 PM tomorrow weather permitting... for crappie, bluegill, and saugeye... can't wait!

Sent via Droid2 with Tapatalk

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
When do they start spawning?

I've read a lot of articles on Crappie and their spawning, seems like water temps from 54-60 seem to be the most popular for spawning activity. I've also heard a few guys say no matter what the water temperature, that the spawn will start to take place on the first full moon in April, but I'm not sure I agree with that, because if I'm not mistaken that should be pretty close right now.

Me personally, once we get a sustained water temperature of 50-52 degrees, I will fish as much as I can for Crappie until it gets to about 62, then I think the Crappies seem to slow down. We went last week with a 46 or 48 degree water temp in some shallower water on the days it warmed up to close to 80, and we caught a few, but still very slow.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Berkley Crappie Nibbles

Alright guys, over the past month, about 6 to 8 of the last 12 articles I've read about Crappie fishing, most of which were written by tournament Crappie fishermen, have said that they are firm believers in the Berkley Crappie Nibbles.

I've never been a fan of attractant myself, but thinking about tipping some of my jigs with these just to see how they do.

Anyone used these before? Like/Dislikes??