Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Done with Rage, Any suggestions?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
So I was thinking about it today, and I have decided that I'm not gonna shoot Rage's this year. I'm trying to decide between several different heads. I like the G5 Montec CS, but I like the idea of having replaceable blades in the G5 Strikers. For some reason, I also like the looks of the NAP Bloodrunner 3-Blade, but I'm just not real sure on the moving parts. I do like the fact that they will cut on contact, but I worry about quartering away shots. Then there's also the old tried and true Muzzy MX-3 Broadheads. I've used them in the past and love them, and may just go back that route.

I know you guys have opinions, so lets hear them. What is everyone's thoughts on the broadheads above? Any other suggestions? I'm leaning more towards a fixed blade more than anything, and I'd prefer something with a smaller cutting diameter.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
G5 Montecs, Razor sharp, Fly true...Only problem is they dont leavea big blood trail....but put it in the right place and you dont have to worry about that

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the looks of the G5 Strikers... they appear to be a pretty tough BH. I'm changing from Tekan II's this year, and I've been planning on either the Strikers or Slick Tricks. My brother got Slick Tricks last year and loves them. I've shot them out of my bow a couple times and they flew great. I'll probably go with Slick Tricks, but the Strikers look to be very similar in aerodynamics and design. I'm just not sold on the Bloodrunners yet... we'll see what kind of luck guys have with them this year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So I was thinking about it today, and I have decided that I'm not gonna shoot Rage's this year. I'm trying to decide between several different heads. I like the G5 Montec CS, but I like the idea of having replaceable blades in the G5 Strikers. For some reason, I also like the looks of the NAP Bloodrunner 3-Blade, but I'm just not real sure on the moving parts. I do like the fact that they will cut on contact, but I worry about quartering away shots. Then there's also the old tried and true Muzzy MX-3 Broadheads. I've used them in the past and love them, and may just go back that route.

I know you guys have opinions, so lets hear them. What is everyone's thoughts on the broadheads above? Any other suggestions? I'm leaning more towards a fixed blade more than anything, and I'd prefer something with a smaller cutting diameter.

I'm surprised Tricks didn't make your probable list.. Any reason? I've never had one bad experience from them. In fact they have done nothing but impress me time and time again.. Bone, Holes, Blood, etc, all impressive.. Heck, i even sent one down a gravel driveway at a cat.. Found the arrow and it had some dings on the blades and tip as to be expected, but noting that some sharpening couldn't fix.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm surprised Tricks didn't make your probable list.. Any reason? I've never had one bad experience from them. In fact they have done nothing but impress me time and time again.. Bone, Holes, Blood, etc, all impressive.. Heck, i even sent one down a gravel driveway at a cat.. Found the arrow and it had some dings on the blades and tip as to be expected, but noting that some sharpening couldn't fix.

I don't know why, but I want to stick with 3-blade broadheads. I've never messed with 4-blade heads, and I'm just not sure I want to. I did check them out, and they look like a solid head. I also like that they offer a 1" cutting diameter head. Maybe I will order two different heads and just have a face-off with them.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have been shooting Crimson Talon heads for quite a while now. Check out their website and tell me that you don't like the way they work. I have had good results with their flight patterns and they are devastating on deer, with Ray Charles blood trails to follow. Am I the only one here that uses these heads or what? I havent heard much talk from other guys about the crimson talon heads, but I'm telling you they are very good broadheads.

I have also shot muzzy heads and Wasp 3 blades with good results also, they are both constructed well enough to shoot through bone.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This will be the sixth season I have been using the G5 Montecs. The only reason I had to buy more was because Austin needed some for his quiver. Have to buy some more for the wifes quiver. Very easy to resharpen if they are in need of it, and they fly very true. I will find it very hard to leave the Montecs, they have done great for me.

Matt

Norton, OH
Greg, I am trying the Magnus Stingers this year because of Milo's suggestion. Muzzy MX3 are my back-up blades for the quiver. They all fly great out of my bow. Milo, you still got that drawing on the angle principles you did for the Magnus vs. slicks?

Ray

I shot a buck with the Crimson Talon in 2005 and it was amazing as to the amount of blood that was on the ground. I didn't need to track the deer, because it dropped in view, but I wanted to see the trail that it produced. Believe me, the blood trail was ridiculous! It looked like someone was walking behind the deer with a garden hose on full blast! What a blood trail ....

I went away from these heads due to the blades being really brittle and breaking off in the target while sighting in. Great flight from the bow, but very tough to tune prior to the season without trashing them in the target. Have they changed the construction of the head?

Ray