Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How much motor and battery, for a canoe?

I just purchased an Old Town Saranac 146 XT canoe and it's 14' 6" and 79 lbs.

I'm thinking that more motor means more battery...both of which are more money. I used to have a 17' aluminum canoe that I used a 23 lb. thrust motor on and it did pretty good.

I'd say a 30 lb. or 40 lb. thrust motor with a decent battery, should do the trick. I'm open to suggestions on both the motor and battery.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well get the biggest motor that operates on 12v.... since you'll already have the battery go big or go home lol.... you can always operate on low but you can only go so high with it....

Well, I guess I'll pass on the trolling motor idea, for a while. Since I have the paddles and need the exercise, I'm gonna paddle for a while. Besides, I just registered my canoe and it was $20 for 3 years without a motor and it was $33 for 3 years with a motor. I paid the $20 and decided to paddle it. Should I change my mind later, all I have to do is give the BMV another $13 to change the registration and I'm good to go. :smiley_bril:

Right now, I'm building a canoe dolly to transport my new prize from my car to the water. I'll have to post some pics of it, when the project is finished.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have a trolling motor for mine (30 lbs) and I never use it. I would pass on spending the cash on it until you find that you would need it.

Beentown