Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your turkey setup?

Huckleberry Finn

I use my trusty Remington 870, 28 inch barrel, HS Undertaker choke, and #4 Remington Nitro 3 inchers.

I don't like to shoot it too much and the extra 2 inches on the barrel plus the extended choke tube has gotten me in trouble in the blind before, but it's also a very deadly setup.

What will you be shooting this spring?

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Remington 870, 28 inch barrel, HS Undertaker choke and I will probably use the same shells as you are using since they work for you and I have no clue as to what I'm doing. :smiley_depressive:

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I have a T/C encore with the 12 gauge turkey barrel. I'm shooting #5 winchester supremes. Kicks like a mule but it's deadly...

Remington 11/87 with a slug barrel that takes choke tubes
With a Remington Xturkey Full straight rifled tube
Speed feed pistol grip stock
Millit Red dot site on a saddle mount

All with a spray can camo job

It is used with 3" #6 Hevi shot reloads
1 5/8 oz at 1300 fps

Inside 20 yds , it will cleanly remove a turkeys head

John

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Might retry the bow again this year...

Otherwise I use a Benelli Nova 12ga with 3-1/2 inch Remington Nitro's or Hevi shot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The good ole 500, Jelly head choke, and Remington Premier Duplex mag 3 inch. it has 1 1/4 oz of 4s and 6s in one shell.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll be doing something with the Benelli Vinci for sure. I just started looking at things yesterday, so I'm yet to settle on a choke. I try to shoot Remington ammo and I'm pretty sure I have some left from the Mossburg 500 setup.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Mathews Outback with an Axis ST400 tipped with 100grain Rage 2 Blade, I hope.
Hopefully the Remington SP-1187 with 3" Federal #4's stays in the gun case.

Schu72

Streetsboro
12 ga. Ithaca Turkeyslayer in Advantage camo.
Stock turkey full choke (looking to upgrade to a Jellyhead tube)
Have used lots of different 3 in. ammo over the last couple of years. Remington extended range, Federal with control wads, Winchester Supremes. I guess I'll wait and see if I change choke tubes and go from there.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For turks I shoot my trust 870, equipped with a Remington Super-Full turkey choke, firing Winchester Supreme #5's. About two and a half years ago I decided to paint it camo. Started with a base coat, then masked the entire gun and cut branch patterns otu with a razor blade, then sprayed brown... then masked off the gun again and cut leaves out with the razor blade and sprayed on some green. Finished it off with a custom turkey head drawing on the stock. Since then, I've been two for two on opening day longbeards... hopefully this spring can bring me number three!

turkgun.jpg

turkgun2.jpg

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Mathews Outback with an Axis ST400 tipped with 100grain Rage 2 Blade, I hope.
Hopefully the Remington SP-1187 with 3" Federal #4's stays in the gun case.

them rages have the death touch on turkey....all you gotta do is glance off the neck and they will go down....

Cpl years ago I shaved a turkeys neck with a 2 blade, knocked it clean out! Jesse finished the job with the boot...hillarious..

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
20ga 870 equipped with a SSX turkey choke and hevi-shot #7. The pattern beats my 12ga 3" gun and comes darn close to beating my 3.5" 12ga pattern.

I can put upwards to 160 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with this 20ga set up. My 3" 12 will only put 140-150. My 3.5" will put around 190. I usually use my 20ga when hunting in woods and my 3.5" when hunting fields.

lung buster

hocking county
Remington 12 Ga 1187. I have tried a lot of different chokes and loads over the years and it likes 3" #6 Hevi-shot out of a Remington x-full choke. I shot one last year at 10 yds and literally almost blew his head completely off. Looking forward to letting it bark in a few weeks!