Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I hate taxes! I want to gouge my eyes out!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok. I feel better just typing the subject title. I have been plugging away all day at the computer. I have a headache and my eyes are irritated, and about to roll out of my head. All this friggin' work just so i can take my books to the accountant to do the final year end accounting for us. I procrastinate this every year. I should just sit down once a month and crank each prior month out. Probably take a fraction of the time. Sad part is I know I am going to owe, I am just waiting with anxiety to see how much I owe! Ever borrow money to pay taxes? I have and it sucks. That was many years ago, but I will never forget it. Weighs in my mind every year, but I am more disciplined now. Oh how I dread this!:BS2::horse::smiley_cowboy::smiley_computerfigh:smiley_brancard::smiley_coffee::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The lady that sits in front of me at church just doesn't understand why filing taxes is such a big deal for me. We have to be done by February 15 because of FAFSA because I got 3 kids in college. She and her husband get a W2 and maybe a couple of 1099s. I end up with a stack of 1099s and most don't arrive until about Feb. 1 and of course keeping track of every transaction for the farm for the year.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I feel your pain my brother. I am a 1099 so when I get get paid no taxes are taken out, I TRY and put 20% - 30% of each pay check in to my savings account so I have it. I did pretty good hitting what I have to pay the Fed's and state but just to be safe I am working a month straight, 24 / 7. Oh and I have no health insurance or benifits what so ever either. :tantrum:

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I am not bitchen, just glad to have a job but having your taxes taken out and health insurance would be a nice plus. Just have to make sure I save through out the year and hope I don't get sick or hurt on the job. Damn it!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm Bitchen.
Makes me sick!

I'm with ya Hicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riverdude

Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I'm Bitchen.
Makes me sick!

I'm with ya Hicks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Big Bro................Be glad for what we got, just sayin. It is not the best but better then not making any cash. Be safe on your trip back down.

Little Bro

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I finished mine up last week and owed less than expected....$1100 between State, Federal and Local. I just wish the tax law was a bit simpler. I think I am going to have to get an accountant. My wife is just TOO busy to keep it all straight. I feel your pain brother....

Beentown

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just mailed in a check to Ohio for $1,053.00 his afternoon. Fucking painful, but I try to keep it in perspective. If you earn it, you gotta pay. So I'll be happy earning it. Next year won't be as bad, my retention bonus killed us this year.

In a given year, we have two W2's and roughly 6-8 1098/1099's. Not all that difficult, but certainly not the 1040EZ of old!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The lady that sits in front of me at church just doesn't understand why filing taxes is such a big deal for me. We have to be done by February 15 because of FAFSA because I got 3 kids in college. She and her husband get a W2 and maybe a couple of 1099s. I end up with a stack of 1099s and most don't arrive until about Feb. 1 and of course keeping track of every transaction for the farm for the year.

If I was in their shoes I wouldn't need an accountant. I feel your pain Sam.

RD- I pretty much do the same thing. Percentage of each check deposited goes into a separate savings account. I dip into it every quarter to make my quarterly payments. End of the year I just lube up and wait for the accountant to tell me how hard I should bite on the bullet and clench my fists. It gets to the point where I would be farther ahead to work a 9-5 and make $30-40k per year. No phone calls 24/7. No working weeks at a time without a day off. If you average out the hours I put in for the money I make, it is less than minimum wage. The tax system is such a convaluded mess, even tax lawyers don't understand it. It truly penalizes those who work hard and reward those doing nothing. Gee, I wonder why unemployment is high and national debt is high? Do you think they are related? (Insert sarcasm smiley here.) I would hate to see the taxes of those making over 6 figures.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesse/Beener- I hope I am in the same boat as you guys this year. If I only have to pay another $1000-1500 it will be as good as a return. Don't take this as cocky or arrogant please. Keep in mind, there is not a W-2 for me. The only money taken out of my checks is what I take out and stash away. If I had it taken out every week and still had to pay another $1000-1500 then that would really suck!

Huckleberry Finn

It gets to the point where I would be farther ahead to work a 9-5 and make $30-40k per year. No phone calls 24/7. No working weeks at a time without a day off. If you average out the hours I put in for the money I make, it is less than minimum wage.

Being your own boss = priceless.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Jesse/Beener- I hope I am in the same boat as you guys this year. If I only have to pay another $1000-1500 it will be as good as a return. Don't take this as cocky or arrogant please. Keep in mind, there is not a W-2 for me. The only money taken out of my checks is what I take out and stash away. If I had it taken out every week and still had to pay another $1000-1500 then that would really suck!

AND, because you own a company or are an officer of one, you won't qualify for the unemployment (under Ohio law) you pay dbl into (employee and employer half's)if you ever had to close and needed the money for what it was intended for. (a little help until you found other work) :tantrum:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
AND, because you own a company or are an officer of one, you won't qualify for the unemployment (under Ohio law) you pay dbl into (employee and employer half's)if you ever had to close and needed the money for what it was intended for. (a little help until you found other work) :tantrum:

Spot on! Let's not forget I also have two choices for an injury: Pay for disability insurance, or pay an exhorbitant amount to add a special provision on my Worker's Compensation policy. Haven't even talked about health insurance yet.

You know what? I still wouldn't trade it. I wouldn't trade these headaches for a 9-5. We get by, pay our bills, our kids our healthy, and we have all we need. Quite honestly, there are not too many people that can say that in this economy and I realize it. We are blessed.

Last edited:

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Make it easy on yourself, take it out plus a little. Spread the burden through the year and you will never notice it. That little you don't need at the end of the year, get you self something sexy!!

A lawyer told me not long ago "you can get pissed off and get crazy or accept it and move on". Pay your tax to keep the worthless at home watching t.v. instead of stealing your hard earned stuff!!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Make it easy on yourself, take it out plus a little. Spread the burden through the year and you will never notice it. That little you don't need at the end of the year, get you self something sexy!!

A lawyer told me not long ago "you can get pissed off and get crazy or accept it and move on". Pay your tax to keep the worthless at home watching t.v. instead of stealing your hard earned stuff!!

Or we could just put one behind their ear when they do steal and be done with it forever.. ;)

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Spot on!
You know what? I still wouldn't trade it. I wouldn't trade these headaches for a 9-5. We are blessed.

I know thats true TOO.

Sometimes its just not understood. First in,last to leave and last to get paid and the gov. would still pound pound pound the small business man... The very thing that has kept the country going. Not 1 giant company... Its all the small businesses.

Fuck* me running. I better stop now. No one wants to have this thread go that way.
Proud ya kept the co. going Hicks. Way ta go. :smiley_clap:

Last edited: