Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Powder Coating vs. Painting Wheels

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm wanting to have the wheels on my truck sand blasted and either powder coated or painted. There are only two places in my area that powder coat, and I'm not sure if one of them does small jobs, or if they work on a larger scale. Anyway, I want something tough and scratch resistant, and that's why I was considering pc, but paint is a heck of a lot cheaper to have done. Anyone have any experiences with painting/powder coating wheels and how they have held up?

there is a guy in johnsville ohio that powder coats , i used to work for him and powder coated a few sets of rims , never heard the guys complain about em , well worth the money , ill try to find the guys name , if he isnt busy he could have it done in a few hours

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As with any finished surface, the quality will depend on the prep work beforehand. I have seen painted items withstand more abuse than powder coating and vice versa. I would think a smaller operation in a local community would do a nicer job than say the powder coating on Western snow plows that never lasts or some of the tree stands that don't hold up. Just depends on how it is prepped. That is my experience with it. I would also think a couple coats of good primer with several coats of enamel sprayed on a properly prepared rim would hold up well. I guess it depends on if you are going to be hitting a lot of rocks or not.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
just buy cheep break pads , they will powder coat them selves

I've been down that road hoot. Ran cheapies on my truck with chrome rims, didn't work out so well. I now have ceramics on them...

I'm seriously considering having them painted. Problem is, with them being chrome, it's gonna take a good bit of prep work to get the paint to adhere. I'd much rather have them coated with something than trying to keep chrome rims clean living on a township road and constantly driving off-road.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Chrome don't get ya home, black will get ya back......bead blast them SOB's and paint. Then clearcoat if you want shinny and be done with it. I'm happy to say I just replaced the windshield on my truck due TOO ure awsome township roads.......

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Hey greg. You know that stuff you were talking about that they put on tools? That rubber stuff. Well apparently they make it in a rattle.can. no sanding nothing. You just peel it off when your sick of it. Guess it holds up real well too.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
guess you should have thought about this fore you put FAg rims on your truck. Are the spinners getting stuck with the road dirt??

They came on the truck when I bought it you dirtball! Trust me, I would have much rather have had painted wheels in the first place.

P.S.
I HATE YOU!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
hey that stuff is called plasti-dip...from home depot....google plasti dipped wheels. The people that did it had it turn out really nice...Im doing it to mine. and my grill