Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Help me purchase a canoe or kayak!

I'm in the market for a canoe or kayak for fishing on small lakes and ponds. I want something that's stable, tracks straight and is less than $800. :)

I've looked at several brands of canoes and the only one that I've found that has a ribbed bottom that would/could make it track as straight as a kayak would be an Old Town Saranac 146 XT.
www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/generalFamily/saranac_146xt.html
* Do I need the ribs for tracking?

Some of the Future Beach kayaks have a tunnel type hull that would make it more stable and track straight, but there are no canoes that have the same feature.

* Is the keel rib in the center of a canoe enough for good tracking?

I've test drove a Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 tandem and loved it. However, I've not been able to find a dealer that will sell one for less than $1300. :p

I'm going to the Indian Lake boat show this weekend, to do some more shopping. Any suggestions from your experiences are appreciated.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Tracking is most affected by length. All the rest is pretty gimmicky except for a rudder on a kayak. I know canoes better than kayaks. I like a longer canoe for easier casting while tandem fishing. Even at 17' I can handle it by myself if I have to. I have been out of the canoe market for a while since I have had mine for over ten years.

For stabilization I use outriggers while bowfishing in my canoe.

Beentown

I think I may have found what I've been looking for in a canoe/kayak. It's a hybrid or cross between a canoe and a kayak. Native Watercraft makes it and it's called the Ultimate 14.5 Tandem. It's open topped like an canoe, but has the tunneled hull of a lake or flat water kayak and REAL NICE seats.

There's a place just north of Dayton called Whitewater Warehouse, that has them for less than the $1350 that everyone else is asking for them.
www.nativewatercraft.com/ult_14T.cfm

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I pretty much have the same set up as Beentown. A 17' canoe that I throw the outriggers on when I need the extra stability (when the kids & dog are out with me).

If price weren't a consideration I'd be buying one of these... http://www.pokeboat.com/ Out of my budget, but a boy can dream.

Beentown said:
For stabilization I use outriggers while bowfishing in my canoe.
Beentown and Curran,
Yep, what Matt said... Did you guys build your outriggers or did you buy them? I've given some serious thought to getting the canoe that I want, for less money and put some outriggers on it. That way I'd have the best of everything...good tracking, stability, low cost, etc. :smiley_blink:

I'm kinda steering away from the Native Watercraft, after having the Max. Capacity weight brought to my attention. Their Ultimate 14.5 Tandem has a 450 lb. Max. Capacity, while the Old Town Saranac 146 XT has a 750 lb. Max. Capacity. That's a serious difference in weight capacity, for the same length of canoe.

I'm still shopping for a canoe. Probably going to go to Gander Mtn. and Dick's Sporting Goods, in Toledo, this weekend.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I bought mine....here is what I have. Hmm can't find them at the moment. I am usually a Google ninja...

Beentown

Huckleberry Finn

My friend that lives in Perrysburg bought a used kayak from a livery that rents them on the river... they are normally only a season or 2 old.

The only problem with buying a livery canoe, is that they're usually not very stable in flat water because they're meant for rivers...thus the livery. Perhaps a lake canoe livery, where it was meant for fishing and not dumping their customers.

I called Old Town and talked with one of their techs about the Max. Capacity thing. Their design department responded to me in an e-mail about the standard being set by the ABYC...American Boat & Yachet Council. Their statement: "The capacity of the boat is equal to the amount of weight which gives the boat 7" of freeboard."

That explains a lot, especially when a canoe has a lot more side wall to allow for more freeboard and thus more weight capacity.