Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Would you cross that line x2

What do you do?

• Wake him up, it's only right..

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Put the .22 back in the truck and get the leashes to go get them

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Go bust that coon and get back out.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Along the lines of TFs post on turk hunting..

How about Raccoon hunting with dogs.

Say the dogs shoot the line and head for another patch of timber and get treed?

Do you
Go wake up farmer John at 1am and ask to get your dog?
Leave the gun and take the leash to pull the hyped up dogs off tree without their reward?
Or do you walk in there an drop that coon off the limb then leave?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Have been in this situation before, not with coonhounds but with beagles.... leave the gun behind retrieve the dogs and be done with it.... Haven't came accross any problems with this method.... That was years ago, this is before I invested in training collars and haven't had a problem since.... Remember dogs can't read or know only the boundries we set....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Have been in this situation before, not with coonhounds but with beagles.... leave the gun behind retrieve the dogs and be done with it.... Haven't came accross any problems with this method.... That was years ago, this is before I invested in training collars and haven't had a problem since.... Remember dogs can't read or know only the boundries we set....

That was during the day i guess. Would you do the same at 1 am?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Does my .22 have regular ammo or the sub-sonics ?

Just askin lol.

Adam, I have a funny story about those sub-sonics.... A buddy sheared a firing pin on his bolt action Marlin, I told him he could borrow my semi Glenfield until he got his back so he could still coon hunt... Well he went out the first night and the next day he stops by and said he broke my gun and he'd pay to get it fixed... I was like how'd you break it and he said he didn't know.... I took it out and it shot fine and he said he didn't know what happened but he'd go back out with it... Well the next day he comes back and said it would only shoot one round at a time..... You guessed it he was trying sub-sonics in a semi..... Bad combo lol....

rrr

Go blast it.

I think there's more value (yes, I'll get subjective here) on a turkey or deer than there is a coon...chances are the farmer would let you anyways....

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
My dad was an avid coon hunter. Back in the 50's and 60's he would always ask permission to hunt on a wooded property. 99 our\t 100 times back then he would get permission to hunt. Most folks knew a coon dog was going to run the the coon till treed and Pop would ALWAYS go and get his dogs even if it were on the 1% who did not want ANYONE on there property! Now days I'd say you stand a very very good chance of being arrested.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Even the Subsonic LRs are too loud.

Any serious coon hunter shoots CB shorts in a single shot. ;).

I have shot those lol. We live in town and dad brought some home one time and we capped a couple coon that would wonder in the yard to play in my mom's garden pond trying to eat the fish she had in it lol. Wasn't any louder then my pellet gun :D.

J,

That's a funny story right there lol. I had a buddy buy a brand new ruger 10/22 and couldn't figure out why it would only shoot one at a time (sub-sonics) and was about to send it back and make them fix it until I told him why it was doing it. He felt pretty stupid after I told him and I still haven't let him live it down.

And to answer your question Joe. Yes I would cap that coon and I don't think a farmer around here would give 2 shits about it. I know everyone I have talked to including the ones that didn't allow me to deer hunt has told me anytime I see one feel free to shoot it.

Last edited: