Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ballistol?

Jamie

Ohio
I've never used the stuff and don't even know anyone who has, but it seems like lots of people like it for cleaning guns and the other million things it's supposed to be useful for. Any Ballistol users/fans here?

Jamie

Ohio
glad I got some. does it work as advertised for gun cleaning? that's primarily what I got it for, but it seems like good lube to have around instead of silicone or WD40.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I’ve probably used it for 8-10 years. On shotguns I spray some down the barrel and pull a snake through 1-2 times and it’s clean. Rifles and handguns for light cleaning but if I need to remove copper I use hoppes Benchrest. Ballistol is good on the wood and leather too.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Cool. Ill have to give it a shot. I use plumatic tool oil. It contains cleaners, oil, rust inhibitors, moisture displacement, and is designed to protect tools that will see hundreds of thousands more cycles than our guns ever will.

Jamie

Ohio
squirrel rifle was not cycling very well, so with down time from poor weather I decided to take apart the action and give it a good scrubbing. I don't clean the bore until the season ends. Ballistol is excellent product. did a nice job cleaning up fouling and stuff on my rifle action, my MKIII pistol which was so filthy the trigger was malfunctioning, and my .41mag revolver still dirty from bonus gun weekend. Ballistol and bore snake did bang up job on bores of both the pistol and revolver. I really like that it is not toxic like most of the other stuff I have. I would suggest getting the aerosol version for cleaning guns as the non-aerosol is like spraying motor oil. I got both, and used both, but the aerosol being diluted enough to spray and moved by pressurized propellant was easier to get into the tight spots. the non-aerosol can uses a screw-on spray bottle type sprayer, but you can pour out of the can, too. it can be diluted with water, and directions say to do that for certain applications. thumbs up for me. now I have a dozen half bottles and cans of crap I never liked using.