Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How big is your herd ?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I think I found every fuggin deer in the county on my cam lmao.

Here is the start of the line

And then.......

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You know..During the season I only ever seen a doe and her fawn and the one Dante shot out there lmao.

I also seen a small buck after shooting light but that's it. I got to this pic and about shit myself lol.

FredT

SE Ohio
After taking 2 behind the house I still have the everyday eight. The most I ever saw at on time was 16 and that was only once.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I see this and only one song comes to mind.

[video=youtube;Jne9t8sHpUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc[/video]

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The one positive thing about these pictures is that you could be able to estimate a large percentage of those deer being pregnant.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Funny how it works, isn't it? I was seeing a deer here, a few there during the season. On one property we started seeing a group of 6 or sometimes 8 by late December running together. Went out the other night and kicked up 17. I doubt they will all be on the same property by spring, but they are yarded up right now in areas.

rrr

Pardon my french, but what the fuck??? Between you hunting out there a ton and dante and I a little did we only see a few deer and harvest one.

Fucking crazy shit right there

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Pardon my french, but what the fuck??? Between you hunting out there a ton and dante and I a little did we only see a few deer and harvest one.

Fucking crazy shit right there

I think that is the yarding of does off of the surrounding 3 properties (south, East, and West). During the season they don't have to look as hard for food so half of those deer never make it to this property. If you remember right I told you and Dante that this property has 3 home range deer herds that overlap. Each property has a small amount of deer in the herd that stay on each property consistently and the bucks just roam back and forth between them. It just happens to be the worst part of the winter and all the does happened to catch up and yard together this one particular day. I have also noticed that the bucks are back in their bachelor groups as well.

So to answer your question....YES, that's exactly what happened.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There is a field on my way to work that I have passed for three years 5 days a week. I think I have seen a deer in this field maybe three times total. Back after the last snow storm I drove by it coming home right at dusk. There must have been over 70 deer scattered about it feeding. A week later I saw them in another field about a mile away. But I haven't seen a single deer in either field since. Crazy how they yard up in harsh weather.