Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cold weather cottontails

Renovator

IMG_2316.jpg coldweather.jpg
We headed out yesterday not knowing what to expect. It was 5 degrees when we started but very light wind. We jumped a rabbit and called the dogs over they had a hard time piciking up the scent but eventually got on it one in the bag. As the day went on the conditions improved we were in a large open farm with multiple 5-10 accre patches of dense cover. We ended up picking up 2-3 rabbits in every patch. A couple long runs but most were short and sweet. We had 4 guys one up high one low one on each side, with a little snow cover once they were up we had the atvantage. We ended the day with 12 rabbits there was more opertunity but we were tired along with the dogs. It was my first time out in 3 weeks. It's a day that will be a good memory for years to come. I've always read days with high barometric pressure are good ones, yesterday proved to be true. If you have a chance get out there and take on the weather.
Good luck
Renovator !!
Happy New Year!!

Last edited:

Bigcountry40

20180203_170357.jpg20180203_170520.jpg

Did a little rabbit hunting over the weekend, not bad for about 10 acre piece of brush.20180203_130302.jpg

My buddies beagle is still young and needs more work, I should of killed one more but did not want to shoot the dog, rabbits were holding really tight and the beagle sometimes does not indicate she is hot. Glad my boys like to be around the culture, they sat and watch me skin and dress those rabbits, I may take them with me on a solo hunt with the beagle (no gun) this year and see how they do and maybe next year let them tag along on a actually solo hunt they (4.5 years old next year, to young?)

Last edited: