Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kids insurance.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So Travis finally got his license and needs insurance. His mom is going to add him to hers but i was wondering what an average cost is. She said something like 800 a year but that seems pretty low to me for an 18 year old male with no driving record. Wondering what you guys with driving age sons are seeing for rates.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Depends on if he’s a full time or part time driver. One car two drivers he’s part time, two vehicles he’s full time.... Part time of course is cheaper...

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
He will soon, but he bought a car last year. Scared to drive, I'm forcing the issue now. He's 19 and I'm tired of driving his ass everywhere.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If you’re going to give me shit at least proof read your own.... [emoji23]
Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have 2 with their temps. Insurance man told me to expect roughly $1200 for the two of them. Said the key was to have one less vehicle than drivers. Good student discount helps too if he is still in school. 20-25% off I believe he said.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When my first kid turned 16 I sat all 3 of them down. Ages 16-15-14 and explained baseball rules to them. Three strikes and your out. But dad just changed the rules with 1 strike and you are out.
One ticket or one accident that's your fault and you will walk until you are 18. Then you can get your own car and insurance.
Happy to say none of the 3 had to walk as none of them got a ticket or accident that was their fault. They knew dad was serious.
Something to think about.

But sad to say my 6 grand kids weren't put under these same rules. Almost all have had tickets and several minor accidents.

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have one on a temp license. My insurance agent told me to enjoy the next six months of cheap insurance.:smiley_depressive:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Just dealing with this now. FUGG ME!! That about sums it up.

Dropped to Liability on my truck and cut Comprehensive from 100 to 500 deductible and its a little less than double.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just dealing with this now. FUGG ME!! That about sums it up.

Dropped to Liability on my truck and cut Comprehensive from 100 to 500 deductible and its a little less than double.

Anyway you look at it you’re going to get bent over by them. Best to try to limit it by what you just did as long as you do t screw yourselves in the long run trying to save a buck.

Shop around and get the quotes and don’t be afraid of the smaller no-name companies that aren’t spending millions on advertising on network tv every 5 minutes.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
He will soon, but he bought a car last year. Scared to drive, I'm forcing the issue now. He's 19 and I'm tired of driving his ass everywhere.

Side note: I will never for the life of me understand this fucking generation that is either scared or has no interest in driving - I was chomping at the fuckin' bit to get my license. And so were all my friends. I just don't get it.

Bigcountry40

We have 2 with their temps. Insurance man told me to expect roughly $1200 for the two of them. Said the key was to have one less vehicle than drivers. Good student discount helps too if he is still in school. 20-25% off I believe he said.

The funny thing about the good grade discount is many of the really smart "book smart" kids lack complete common sense and are terrible drivers. I would give discounts to ffa and shop class kids named Hank thatchew grizzly wintergreen! Those boys can handle a truck, Not Pratrick in Advanced Organic Chemistry!

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Side note: I will never for the life of me understand this fucking generation that is either scared or has no interest in driving - I was chomping at the fuckin' bit to get my license. And so were all my friends. I just don't get it.
Travis just got his license and he's 18.5. And the only reason he did was because his friends have jobs and have either graduated or have a different school schedule than him. Ran out of people to bum a ride from. I personally believe it's because kids these days are just lazy and are used to having everything done for them. Everything is Instant gratification, don't have to work for anything. Adding a car just adds responsibility like gas and insurance, or picking your sibling up from the mall every once in a while. Not worth it when they can just ask there friend to give him a ride

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I did my daughter a favor and carried her on my insurance policy as long as she paid me her share. She has had several mishaps, two were her fault one was not, her car got totaled out in the I90 pile up several years ago. Fast forward I was paying $230 a month as long as she paid me, well I had to keep calling for her share and got stuck paying the last 2 months. I gave her so many chances and then told her she was done and to find her own. I know pay $120 a month for my wife and I.

Texted my daughter and told her I could do a commercial............"I just saved over $1,200.00 by dropping my daughter of my insurance." Did not get a reply on that one, lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The funny thing about the good grade discount is many of the really smart "book smart" kids lack complete common sense and are terrible drivers. I would give discounts to ffa and shop class kids named Hank and chew grizzly wintergreen! Those boys can handle a truck, Not Pratrick in Advanced Organic Chemistry!
Funny you mention handling a truck. I was walking in to Kroger the other day and this big four door F 250 powerstroke come flying by me in the parking lot. It took a hard left in the aisle, no sooner than it stopped the reverse lights were on, then it backed up quick right into a parking spot. I'm talking whipping it like a pro. I noticed it had Tennessee plates on it. The door opened in this 110 lb blonde girl in her 20s jumped out. I about called my wife to inquire about me becoming a polygamist and taking another wife.