Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wifi booster

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have wireless wifi in the house. My pole barn workshop is 400 ft away. What kind of a wifi booster do I need to boost the single there and do I need a receiver at the pole barn? I want to use a TV and a computor there.
Possible?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You're going to need a pair of outdoor directional wireless bridges. I've never done it personally so i haven't researched it, but know that it can be done and the above equipment is what you'll need. You'll need bridge devices not things claiming to be extenders or signal boosters. You'll also need line of sight between the two. You're out of range for a network cable as cat6 ethernet cable has a maximum distance of 328 feet. Even then it takes a damn good router and high quality cable and you would still have loss issues.

You could also use a pair of multimode fiber converters that convert ethernet to SC multimode fiber and burry some fiber cable. More cost, less headache, better signal.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks Joe. Now if I knew what all that was I'd have a starting point. At least I know what to look for. Research starts now and that's what grandkids are for as they are tech savy.

Buckmaster

Portage
Is $40/mo out of the question? You can go to AT&T and buy a wireless hotspot with unlimited data or upgrade your cell phone plan.

Or go to your local library and borrow one for a week (my wife and kids do this option). It supplements our data restricted plans.

Diablo54

Outside
You are going to struggle with the signal almost no matter what route you take with the metal siding. May be best to get a second connection for the pole barn if you need it bad enough.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Haven't done much research yet. But it looks like 2 metal antennas should work. I have line clear line of sight. One antenna at the house and one at the window on the pole barn. Now need to check on what attachments needed.
$40 per month is out of line for what I use it.

Haven't thought of the cell phone connection. I'm on my son's cell phone plan with unlimited data. I'll talk to him.

Last edited: