Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Kill Permits...

Deer Kill Permits increase for 2011?

• YES

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • NO

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Pass the Cheetos!

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would bet that the farmers that hadn't even thought about it in past years will be getting thier hands on permits this year. From what I have been hearing up at the equity here in town the corn price isn't going to drop anytime soon and you can bet more then few farmers are going to do whatever they can to make sure they get paid.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Rc that has me worried more than ever. I am also concerned about what the farmers will do to get more yield and the effects on our environment.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Rc that has me worried more than ever. I am also concerned about what the farmers will do to get more yield and the effects on our environment.

It might work to our advantage in some cases. Some farmers that previously didn't allow hunting might start opening the door to a few hunters to help control their deer populations and help with the crop damage. It will be interresting to see how this will workout for sure. Time to start knocking on some new doors this spring for me :D.

In the case of an environmental impact...I can see a few fields getting a little bigger here pretty soon. Watch the fields this spring and see how many guys go out and cut a few more acres of the woods down to gain more field to plant.

As far as the guys that abused the system before...They will do even more now then they did in past years I'm sure.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They better start controlling the coon population first.

I'm with ya on that one Gern. It is like a plague with coon around here. That's why I say screw the fur trade since coon pelts aren't worth much anymore and put them in the same category as groundhogs and have an open season for awhile to knock down their populations. It's just not worth the $ for a fur bearers tag to only be allowed to harvest them for a few months. Hell, I don't see half the numbers of coon during the winter months as I do during the spring - fall months. Open the season and crack the shit out of them !!!!

You know as well as I do that the deer will get the blame for it and since they hand tags out like candy people will take the bait.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm with ya on that one Gern. It is like a plague with coon around here. That's why I say screw the fur trade since coon pelts aren't worth much anymore and put them in the same category as groundhogs and have an open season for awhile to knock down their populations. It's just not worth the $ for a fur bearers tag to only be allowed to harvest them for a few months. Hell, I don't see half the numbers of coon during the winter months as I do during the spring - fall months. Open the season and crack the shit out of them !!!!

You know as well as I do that the deer will get the blame for it and since they hand tags out like candy people will take the bait.

You got that right. On some days when I'm out ridin around trying to spot some hogs out in bean fields I see more coon out wandering around in the middle of the day than I do groundhogs. Population is way up IMO.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Earlier the DoW was claiming that farmer complaints of damages were way down in 2010 because of acorns. It will be interesting to see when the Summary of the 2010-11 season is published what the complaint #s really were.

I have harvested deer using Crop Damage permits for several years
As you can't keep the rack of a buck you kill
Few of the farmers I know that get the permits shoot bucks

As for Coon
On 2 farms I hunt
They get crop damage permits for coon also
We live trap them , as we have to ( suposet to ) release all non target critters
But as some of the other critters are also duck nest robbers
We have been known to practice the 3"S" policy Shoot , shovel and shut the F up

I for 1 don't expect the DNR to issue a lot more damage permitts for deer
But I expect they will for coon

John

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I dont ever remember my moms uncle ever getting a permit to kill coons or anything other than deer on his farm. He just shot what he wanted and did whatever with them.

rrr

Missed this thread.

Yes, corn prices are up. Good for me because every farmer in the state realized that they wanted to build a grain bin this summer a) because they made more money from this fall and b) because they know they are going to grow more corn next year.

The only thing that's missing from this thread is the fact that in about a month they'll blame the high prices on the fact that we've got to feed the starving mexicans that don't have corn for their tortillas...

tuffshot

The Crew
Missed this thread.

Yes, corn prices are up. Good for me because every farmer in the state realized that they wanted to build a grain bin this summer a) because they made more money from this fall and b) because they know they are going to grow more corn next year.

The only thing that's missing from this thread is the fact that in about a month they'll blame the high prices on the fact that we've got to feed the starving mexicans that don't have corn for their tortillas...

More corn for fuel not food is in the price factor.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
More corn for fuel not food is in the price factor.

No, the main factor is many people and governments all over the world want to trade dollars for grains, oil and metals. Ethanol is a factor but worries about inflation is more important.

Take China, they have billions and billions of $$ from selling crap to us. They also have 1.5+ billion people to feed. They are trading the paper money for food, their people are a little happier and better fed and they have less of our paper to worry about loosing it's value.

rrr

No, the main factor is many people and governments all over the world want to trade dollars for grains, oil and metals. Ethanol is a factor but worries about inflation is more important.

Take China, they have billions and billions of $$ from selling crap to us. They also have 1.5+ billion people to feed. They are trading the paper money for food, their people are a little happier and better fed and they have less of our paper to worry about loosing it's value.

SAM! STOP!! STOP! We agree...someone pinch me....