Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rifle sight in for gun season

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Went down to the gunclub to sight in at 100 yds. Already had the 460 S&W Mag TC Encore sighted in on my 50 yd home range. I use the Hornady ballistic computer program after checking the 2658 FPS velocity on the chronograph. At 2" high at 50 yds puts it 3.8" high at 100, 2" high at 150 yds and dead on at 200 yds. I was dead on at 100 yds at 3.8" high but had to move 1" to the left. Made scope adjustment and good to go.
Next came the 45-70 Marlin lever action. For some reason it was shooting 7" high and 2" to the right. Made the scope adjustment and shot 3 shots in less than 1" at 100 yds. This Marlin lever action as always shot one hole groups at 50 yds with jacket of lead cast bullets.
Just talked to my brother and he's coming down Saturday so he can hunt couple days.

Forgot to mention I'm using the Hornady 325 gr FTX plastic tip bullet in both the 460 S&W mag and 45-70 lever action. The bullet has a ballistic coefficient of .230.
I have my son's Ruger 77 in 458 Win Mag in my gun vault and I plan to load that up to have a flatter shooting 45 caliber rifle. Something new to experiment with. I'll check with Hornady to make sure the bullet design can handle the increased velocity.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I just had great paper with those 225 gr in a 44 mag

I shoot the same bullet in 40 caliber in a sabot in my 45 caliber smokeless ML. It's been a one shot kill on every deer I've shot with it.
It'll be another test round next year and work on max loadings and chronograph testing.