Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you bow hunt in the rain?

I don't care about getting wet, but rather the loss of a deer by not being able to find a blood trail, due to the rain.

Other issues:
* The feathers on my arrows are virtually worthless when wet.
* Noisy rain gear.
* Climbing wet trees.
* Not being able to hear the approaching deer.

What are your thoughts about hunting deer, in the rain?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Love hunting in a light rain, but only with a gun.

I don’t/won’t hunt in the rain with a bow for the reasons listed above.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I never bow hunt in the rain because the rain washes the blood drops away in tracking. Gun hunting never gave me any worries due to the large gunshot wound and large amounts of blood.

Besides it's raining hard here right now.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I love "still hunting " in the light rain.

Someone told me to try spraying it hair spray on my feathers to keep their shape in the rain.

Jamie

Ohio
I will hunt in light rain or off and on showers in November, but will stay in when there is a monsoon or rain for extended periods for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm not going to spend much time in early season or after gun season bow hunting in the rain. If you make a good shot, blood trail is not necessary with a well tuned, quiet traditional bow. Even on crisp, quiet, calm days, deer shot through both lungs seldom run more than 100 yard when shot by a REAL quiet bow. no modern compound bow or crossbow can be silenced to anything close to a traditional bow, and that is an enormous benefit as it shortens recovery distances.

Using real natural barred turkey feathers from wild birds will solve your wet fletching problem as they contain more natural oils that repel water. goose feathers, too. I have also used "Rain and Stain" spray for shoes, and it does seem to work. I only use quality Gore-Tex rain gear with quite outer fabric. Cabela's MTO50 to be exact. it is plenty quiet and worth the investment if you seriously want to be outdoors in wet/windy conditions. if you want to hunt in the rain, you can do it comfortably and with conficence with some thoughtful preparation.

Gordo

Athens County
I hunt in the rain. I've Have had some epic hunts just before a rain or shortly after it stops. That usually requires getting wet. An hour or two storm in the middle of a hunt..... sign me up!

I will say I'm always thinking only 'chip shots' in it. Still a lot of variables, I know.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
All of my experiences bowhunting in the rain have been more negative than positive. Most were the reasons posted above, but it seems like the Bucks very seldom stop in their travels during rain! They almost run or trot instead of a slow walk! I've witnessed it countless time! Lol
However, right before or after a good rain the deer move quite a bit. You've got to be on your toes and head on a swivel though because they can and will sneak up on ya!

Schu72

Streetsboro
I hunt regardless. I only get so many days and travel quite a bit to hunt. I'm not sitting in the house when I'm burning PTO days. Honestly, most of my bow blood trails are way better than most gun blood trails.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
If the time is right, I will hunt in a steady light rain. More importantly, I try to be in the stand when it quits. Particularly when it's a long rain event, lets say all night or even better a day or two. I have encountered and killed some of my biggest bucks after the aforementioned weather pattern. Temperature at the time seems to matter not.

I like hunting in the rain
No worries about scent or other hunters out
I only take chip shots but in a light rain the blood can get spread out and more obvious
Each to their own but a steady rain in October or November will find me in a stand
Good quality rain gear helps
I use a cat quiver to cover my fletching if using trad gear