Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good News!

rrr

Hey fellas, just wanted to share some great news! There is some uncertainty going around about what I'll be doing and where I'll be this summer. I can't express how good it is to have a great job at home waiting for me, something that I have not had in previous years and that is so reassuring. But, I also have my name in for several internships. This is a very rough economy, we all know that, so internships are even harder to come by, and paid internships nearly impossible to get. I have only applied for paid internships because I can't afford to not work and not make money.

Anyways, I had a phone interview last week with the Koch Foundation (the same place that pays for my fellowship with the school's think tank) and I didn't think that it went very well. It was actually pretty bad and I was bummed about it. But yesterday I got a request for a second phone interview for next week, but emailed them back and mentioned that I will be in DC tomorrow-Saturday and at their offices for breakfast on Friday anyways. So I now have a 1.5 hour interview on Friday morning! I would much rather do an interview in person than on the phone!
:pickle::pickle::pickle:

"So, what in your life has influenced you the most?"

"Killin things!"

rrr

Hahaha, yes sir! There is Koch Industries and then the philanthropic/political side is the Charles G. Koch Foundation (this one). They are all run by the same guys who are pretty dang high on the Forbes list!

Edit: Here's a story. They are each worth $21.5 billion and have given $196 million dollars to conservative groups over the last 10 years (including my stipend!)
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ding-koch-brothers-emerge-from-anonymity.html

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Thats awesome Steve. I will be pulling for ya buddy and I think you will do just fine for your interview.

I will give you a hint from when I had my interviews in witch I had 4 people the first time and 5 people the second time firing away with questions.

Just be comfortable, sit up straight, stay calm and focus on one person and their question at a time.

That helped me out when I did mine because let me tell you...it was nerve racking having that many people picking your brain all at once :D.

Good luck brother !!!!!

rrr

This one, yes. There's a few others with different placements, but my possibilities are DC, Akron, Indiana, Columbus, Virginia, and Pittsburgh. This isn't my first choice, but it would be very hard to turn it down.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
For the career path you are on (or I think you are on) a DC internship would be difficult to walk away from. My sons are facing some similar decisions right now so I understand a little what this means to you.

rrr

Yes, there is a lot of prestige with Koch, but I'm also keeping my hopes reasonable as they are highly competative. My 'first' option is a construction management firm in Akron that I'm pursuing...thanks TOO someone on here ;)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Stever! Guess this means you won't be mowing for me this summer and taking classes at ONU?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Good luck Steve. Hopefully you have a few opportunities that you can evaluate and select which one will provide the most experience and opportunities. Keep us posted.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Wow I hate when I haven't been ab;e to visit fir a few days. There is always so much to catch up on. Congrats on the opportunity, I hope all went well.