Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First Ohio Hunt

jchan

I am from Alabama and plan on driving up to southern Ohio on 11/2/17, and hunting from 11/3/17 - 11/5/17. I am eyeing Tar Hollow State Park (staying in Chilicothe). I was wondering if any of you had any experience in this area, or possibly had a better recommendation. I have a contact who is in a club that borders Tar Hollow, so thats my reasoning for that area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to spending some time in the woods of Ohio instead of just traveling there for work. If you don't want to share any advice publicly, feel free to message me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You'll be in a decent area. That time of the year, you'll be 1 of several hundred southerners coming up to Ohio to bowhunt. You will more than likely run into a ton of other bowhunters that week. Don't get discouraged... Just hunt. Sit all day if you can.

Bigcountry40

You'll be in a decent area. That time of the year, you'll be 1 of several hundred southerners coming up to Ohio to bowhunt. You will more than likely run into a ton of other bowhunters that week. Don't get discouraged... Just hunt. Sit all day if you can.

this!

jchan

Any particular areas of Tar Hollow that hold a better population? Any particular roads that have more access roads? Any areas to avoid based on pressure, other activities?

Bigcountry40

Any particular areas of Tar Hollow that hold a better population? Any particular roads that have more access roads? Any areas to avoid based on pressure, other activities?

I've never hunted that public land, but I will say its hilly and I hope you are in shape if you kill a deer,

jchan

Yea, it's definitely going to be a hike either way, just looking to maximize our time since there wont be much time for scouting at all. Im guessing we will go in at first light on Friday and head to the general area we pick out, trying to stay atop the spines of the ridges. It should be an interesting experience. Hoping for a little more guidance between now and then. Any place to get a good detailed map of Tar Hollow?

rsmith

Yea, it's definitely going to be a hike either way, just looking to maximize our time since there wont be much time for scouting at all. Im guessing we will go in at first light on Friday and head to the general area we pick out, trying to stay atop the spines of the ridges. It should be an interesting experience. Hoping for a little more guidance between now and then. Any place to get a good detailed map of Tar Hollow?

Check it out on HuntStand app. They have topography maps and also some updates satellite maps to help. Good luck and be safe. Should be a good week to come up with the cold snap we will have those days.

Bowman

pro tip: before entering the woods get you some Docs Deer Farm Sweet Demise. two sprays on each shoulder, two sprays on each knee and two sprays on each boots. the deer will LITERALLY HUNT YOU!!!

Doesn't sound like a very good pro tip? Not sure I'd be putting any type of lure on me, a buck might have his way with you in the dark.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Doesn't sound like a very good pro tip? Not sure I'd be putting any type of lure on me, a buck might have his way with you in the dark.
Don't pay attention to that idiot. He didn't last long. Talked more shit that a Chinese radio.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you want to be successful you need to get off the ridge tops and off on the sides of the benches and shelves. Like others said that week you will be covered up with non residents, 98% of them will do what you said and walk the ridges or up the bottoms. You need to get off the ridges and on to the benches or shelves. If you can find a shelf off a saddle on the downwind side of a thick area thats where i'd be.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you want to be successful you need to get off the ridge tops and off on the sides of the benches and shelves. Like others said that week you will be covered up with non residents, 98% of them will do what you said and walk the ridges or up the bottoms. You need to get off the ridges and on to the benches or shelves. If you can find a shelf off a saddle on the downwind side of a thick area thats where i'd be.
Excellent advice.

jchan

I should have clarified....we will travel the tops of the ridges for easier walking and maximum scent control. We will plan to hunt the sides of saddles. Looking at the general area we have picked out, I don't see much in the way of benches, but then again, google topo's aren't the ideal way of scouting...lol. I guess you do what you can do when flying blind and taking on a beast of an area to hunt.