Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How bad...

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
Is it to spook deer on your way to the stand in the dark. As I was walking in this morning an hour before sunrise a few deer blew as I stepped into the woods. The wind was in my face so they couldn't smell me and it was dark so they really couldn't see me so how bad is that. What do you guys do, turn around or keep going. So far since it's been light I have not seen a deer. So I'm thinking I messed the hunt up before I even got to my stand. Thought?

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
If the wind was in your favor and it was dark enough, I would say you are safe. I have bumped plenty of deer hunting morning and night. Each deer is different, some will run to the next county and some will run a 50 yds and come back. It depends on the amount of hunting pressure to be honest and their tolerance to human behavior. I hunt a couple farms that the deer are use to human sounds and vehicles coming back any time of day. I also hunt a farm where they don't tolerate the slightest scent or noise from a human.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve had them blow before daylight just to have deer walk by the stand an hour later... The same deer? Who knows but the woods settles down and things go back to normal....

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
As the others have said I do not think there is a clear cut answer. I have had deer blow and haul ass when I was walking in then half an hour later have deer under me. I have also blown deer out on my way in and not see a thing.

On the flip side I have made it to my stand without blowing any deer out (too my knowledge) and have the same stuff happen. Sometimes I see some sometimes I don't. Lol. So I have no clue either way.

The one thing I do know is that the times I pushed deer out on my way in and didn't see anything afterwards I blamed myself the whole time.

00buck

I would go ahead and hunt it anyways like others have said no clear answer on it

That's why they call it hunting

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
This is what I was thinking too but I wanted to see what everyone else thought about it. I've seen 7 does 4 of which were right under me so I did see deer but you still think in the back of your mind what if that buck heard them and moved on or stayed hidden. That's hunting.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I would go ahead and hint with no worry's. Had a do blowing In the woods I was in the other night all the other deer around me payed her no attention. She was facing away from me blowing and they never spooked one bit.

Gordo

Athens County
Don't worry about it too much.

For future you could try a diff access point if possible if you haven't already thought it out, but going in while dark is always a crap shoot unless you really have awesome access point. I only have one stand that's bullet proof for dark entry. It's hiking a creek that leads to a drainage/ditch. I stick in the drainage going uphill all the way to the top and pop out damn near at the base of my tree

Or, wait till it gets light enough to see. I do that majority of the time

Last edited:

Floki

It's never really bothered me much. I've had them blow and come right back 15 minutes later.

rsmith

I don’t think it is a big deal. Have had deer blow at me on the way in and had deer show up a little while after. Same deer? Maybe? I’m more worried if a deer blows while I’m in the blind or in the stand than if I’m walking in.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Always frustrating when this happens. It is worse when you get right up on them, they blow, you nearly poop yourself, and your heart rate goes thru the roof. Then you feel like an idiot for getting startled and laugh about it a few seconds later. lmao

rsmith

Always frustrating when this happens. It is worse when you get right up on them, they blow, you nearly poop yourself, and your heart rate goes thru the roof. Then you feel like an idiot for getting startled and laugh about it a few seconds later. lmao

Hahaha that is the best. I remember the first time I spooked a deer on the way in I about dropped dead right there. The woods were dead silent and I was a bit nervous going into the dark woods so I had a small low power flashlight on my hat to guide me to my stand. Well I was walking with my head down and sure enough I hear a loud thud and look up and around then I hear a loud blow and about poop myself because my heart rate was racing from the loud thud and then I hear it crunching leaves as it takes off out of there. I almost pissed myself but I ended up making it to the stand and saw 5 deer that morning.

Floki

Lmao.... Funny stuff.. Almost like when your walking in the woods and you trip, instantly you get up cussing in your mind and look around to make sure no one saw it. Never understood why I do this every time but I do.